Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've given up hope on growing nice green grass in my backyard. I know with 3 dogs and 6 kids (I run a homedaycare), its impossible to have a "nice yard."

Before Xena, my yard looks decent. No grass but no holes. Then she came. I thought "WOW, this little girl is perfect! Easily potty trained, never once cried during the crate training process and is very smart!!!" but first impression NEVER last in my case. She discovered the joy of burying her bones... then toys... then just for the fun of it, DIGS for no reason at all.

We managed to solve the problem we had in the past, with her digging under the fence and eventually crawling under to go to the neighbour's yard. She dugged holes BIG enough for all three of them to get out. We are getting new fence in the next couple of weeks. They haven't gotten out for a long time now since I started putting bricks under the fence.

But XENA is absolutely driving me bonkers. I let them out to go pee and I kid you not, within 5 minutes, she is capable of digging holes big enough to bury me if she ever gets mad at me.

I need help. I tried the positive approach, catching her in the act and telling her "NO DIGGING" and re-direct her into doing something else, like playing catch with me or practicing obedience. This only worked for so long. So I resorted into doing something she dislike. WATER SPRAY. I bought a spray bottle and spray her when I catch her digging. Only worked for so long as well. She started enjoying the water spray since the weather is "HOT" lately and with all her fur, the water spray soothes the heat. Now she would even "beg" to be sprayed with water when its hot outside. UGH.

NOW WHAT DO I DO???

CRIME SCENE:

The ones she made under the fence are BIGGER than any of these holes. I cant take pictures of them now because of the bricks I used to block the holes.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Eddie has a bit of a digging problem too...lol. He has one hole that he's been working on for a long time...its DEEP...and its right on our hill side. He had another one that he dug out and we just recently filled. Now the dogs swimming pool is sitting on top of it to keep him from digging it up again. I could care less if he digs holes, I just wish he wouldn't do it in our yard but rather in the hay field where no one walks. lol I've vaguely thought about getting him a sandbox to dig in.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Have you thought about a sandbox? It sounds like she's digging for the joy of it... so maybe an appropriate outlet would be the better way to go.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Have you thought about a sandbox? It sounds like she's digging for the joy of it... so maybe an appropriate outlet would be the better way to go.
OMG my dogs took over my boys sandbox! They love the sandbox and we always see sand flying everywhere! LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a Great Pyrenees who basically was doing the same thing. If I covered her holes she would just start a new one including trying to dig under the fence to visit the daycare kiddies next door. I tried everything. I found something that worked fantastic! Everytime she dug a hole I buried her stools into it and filled the hole with soil. This took some time but she finally got the message. I don't know why but it worked. I gave her one place that she was allowed to dig a hollow to lay in. I never had a problem after that.
I hope this may be helpfull to you.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Just sharing a picture of Eddie's "handiwork"... Uallis may have helped a little bit, but he isn't that big on digging too much. This is the one that we just filled in recently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts