Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! As the forum states, "First Time Dog Owner"! I have a miniature poodle, and his name is Fluffy. When I first bought him, he was such a sweetheart, I instantly fell in love with him!!!
He just turned one (July 5) year old, and he's super active! No matter how perfect of a dog he is for me, he still has some minor problems! The last owner that sold me Fluffy told me that his first owner was a male and mistreated him. So, in result, he has trouble trusting male human beings! If a male human being is persistent, I'm sure Fluffy will bark and may even BITE the male figure (has happened before, thankfully, his bites aren't strong enough to hurt a person). It took over a month for him to become comfortable with my boyfriend!!! I fear that if I don't solve this problem, something serious may happen (again)! :(

Now, thankfully, he is already house broken and is moderately obedient. So he knows to come when he's asked to or when he's in big trouble! :doh: Overall, he adapted very well to his current surroundings and our everyday routine!

Lastly, I believe he has separation anxiety. It is maybe because he was given owner to owner about 3-4 times, and he was in a shelter once before as well, so the fear is understandable. One main problem with this is, whenever I leave to run an errand or go to class (I go to university), I hear him crying, howling, and barking for me to come back... :( I know on average that he barks for only about 5-10 mins (sat outside of the hallway of my apartment and timed him) but even though that does not seem like a long time, I do live in an apartment building. Apartment building = close neighbours, and close neighbours = possible noise complaints! :argue:
For this issue, I have tried the "Thunder Shirt" and their "Thunder spray", but it doesn't really work...

Overall, he isn't noisy majority of the time (When I'm home), he is smart, and loving. I hope you all send your thoughts by leaving a comment! Please do, I would love that!

Thank you!

Peace out! :rockon:
GiiGii

·
Registered
721 Posts
Congrats on the new dog, 5-10 mins is not SA, many dogs do that for a while. You will need to find things for him to keep him occupied while you are gone. Kong toys are really good for this and can last longer if you freeze it. As for the trust issues you will have to keep working on it, your BF should help you as he can prove to the dog that males are good, keep it positive. It will take some time

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I grew up with mini poodles, they are great dogs!

SA is more than a few minutes of barking, it's ripping apart the crate or apartment, pooping everywhere, drooling, barking for hours, etc. Look up "i'll be home soon", it's a great protocol for dogs who have a little trouble with goodbyes.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I agree with the kong ball concept. My dog used to whine when I left her outside in the morning. Just for a half an hour to give me time to get ready for work, but for the entire half an hour. If she got especially worked up she'd get a mournful howl in and it was EARLY in the morning.
I got food dispensing toys that she had to roll around the yard and porch to get the food out of and she became so absorbed in that activity that she'd forget she was supposed to be missing me.
Worked with kongs in the cage too. She used to cry for a bit when I left in the morning and my roommate sleeps in so I hated that she would wake her up. She devoted herself to getting the things out of the kong (frozen because she's amazing at getting the stuff out) and she'd fall asleep afterwards.

And as for distrusting males I think building a positive relationship between the two would be a huge stepping stone. Have him feed the dog meals/treats/throw a favourite toy. Every time he comes over. So that he only is there to give him good things, that should build the baseline for the relationship. Don't force interactions and if he can feed Fluffy from his hand do that, if not scoot some across the floor and work up to shortening the distance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for replying to my post!!! I'm grateful with all of your advice and thoughts! :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I first got my dog, she was very fearful of my dad. It did take her some time, but he got her to trust him basically by ignoring her. Sometimes he would sit outside (and she was loose, so she didn't have the 'trapped' feeling, she was free to do what she wanted) and just randomly toss treats in her general direction. It did take her awhile before she would come up to him of her own free will and allow him to pet her, but once she did it and realized nothing bad happened, she was quicker to trust him each time he called her or she saw him approach. Now, once in awhile she will be startle by him if he appears suddenly or moves unexpectedly fast, but overall she now trusts him.
This is a photo I took of them both sometime after she first took a treat from him:

He's basically ignoring her, just going about his business as usual and she, even though still nervous, chose of her own free will to give him company. :D So, although it may be slow going, don't give up! Fluffy will start trusting your boyfriend in his time. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I first got my dog, she was very fearful of my dad. It did take her some time, but he got her to trust him basically by ignoring her. Sometimes he would sit outside (and she was loose, so she didn't have the 'trapped' feeling, she was free to do what she wanted) and just randomly toss treats in her general direction. It did take her awhile before she would come up to him of her own free will and allow him to pet her, but once she did it and realized nothing bad happened, she was quicker to trust him each time he called her or she saw him approach. Now, once in awhile she will be startle by him if he appears suddenly or moves unexpectedly fast, but overall she now trusts him.
This is a photo I took of them both sometime after she first took a treat from him:

He's basically ignoring her, just going about his business as usual and she, even though still nervous, chose of her own free will to give him company. :D So, although it may be slow going, don't give up! Fluffy will start trusting your boyfriend in his time. :)
Hello, thank you!! It is better now with Fluffy and boyfriend. :) Even though he prefers me than my boyfriend, he's more trusting towards my boyfriend. Unfortunately, he's still worried of other males he meets. I won't give up!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was going to say in my previous post, but forgot, that the same method could work with the other male friends who come over. Just have them ignore him (but behave normally, talk, move about, etc, whatever normally happens when guests are over) and periodically toss treats in his general direction (not too close, don't want to bop him with it). Basically, let Fluffy initiate any contact. It's a slow method, but better than forced contact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts