Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, so first I want to thank you all for allowing me to join and finally ask some dog people who may be able to help me! And also, in advance, thank you for any help you may be able to give me!!

Ok so here's the deal, about a year and a half ago my fiance and I were given our baby, Jaxon, by his boss and his boss' wife. Jax had been given to them just over a year prior to that by the wife's hairdresser, who was an acquaintance of hers. She said that the woman gave him to her because she had just lost her dog of 14 years and was having an extremely hard time with it. The hairdresser told her that she hoped giving her Jaxon would help ease her grief... and it also would help Jaxon out a LOT because she worked a LOT of hours and always partied right after work until the early hours of the morning. She said that From the time she got him as a puppy, he had been stuck in his cage for at least 12-16 hours a day. So she figured he would be able to get out of his cage and live a good life, and the boss' wife would feel better and be able to stop grieving because she would have a new dog to take care.

She was SO wrong. The boss' wife said that due to her grief for the dog she had just lost - who she considered one of her children - she couldn't bond with Jaxon, or even let him into her heart. So after about a year or so she realized that things were not going to change; Jaxon and her were not going to bond. He was not going to be her next 'child.' So when my fiance (Danny) jokingly asked one day while he was at their home, waiting for his boss to come outside and get in their work truck, "So how mad would you be if I took Jaxon off your hands for a while...or forever?" She replied, "If you want him, you can have him." And she meant it!!

When we got him from them he did not have any paperwork, he just came with his cage (which has since been thrown away so that Jax can roam freely around the house), a bed, and maybe 3 toys. We were told by his boss and the wife that he is a yorkie... but when he took him to the vet we found out he weighs over 25lbs... We knew he was big, but we had no idea just how much bigger he was from what a yorkie is supposed to be. He also has a more stocky build than yorkies do... at times he almost looks bull-legged, kind of like a scotty dog does when they are standing at attention. Anyway, we have a hard time believing he is full yorkie, but we would LOVE to find out what he really is!! Maybe a mix? Maybe a yorkie / scotty dog mix? Maybe not even a yorkie at all?? His breed name is not important to us... don't get me wrong, it's not the label I want... what's important to us is finding out what health problems he is prone to so we can keep an eye out for them and do everything in our power to prevent them!

Below are a bunch of my favorite photos of our Jaxon. I picked these because I think they each offer a different view of him that may help in figuring out his breed(s). And also yes, probably mainly because I just think he's the most adorable thing on the planet and want to show you all my baby :) I know you know how I feel! I'd love to see your babies as well!! Anyway, please comment on this or message me on your thoughts. Thank you all so much!!

God Bless, Stay Healthy and Safe, and Mask Up!

Heather

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog
Dog Photograph Vertebrate Blue Dog breed
Dog Tartan Dog supply Carnivore Dog breed
Dog Comfort Carnivore Mammal Dog breed
Dog Furniture Comfort Blue Wood
Dog Sky Window Car Dog breed
Dog Carnivore Bottle Window Dog breed
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn
Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Dog breed Mammal
Textile Grey Carnivore Comfort Art

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I'd believe there's yorkie in him, but I'd be hard pressed to believe he's 100% at that size! My best guess would be some other kind of terrier is mixed in, perhaps more than one. It's really hard to say for sure by looks alone - you can get some real unpredictable results with mixed breeds sometimes!

Some of the DNA tests are pretty good these days. They're not completely accurate, but they're much more reliable than they used to be, so if you're curious and are willing to spend the money it could be fun to see what comes back! I like Embark, because it offers a combo kit where they'll also test for a lot of genetic health concerns and give you a report of things your dog is predisposed to so you have an idea of what to watch for. And because it frequently has sales/coupon codes. But Wisdom Panel is the other one that has generally good reviews. Just know that they can only test about three generations back, so if another breed or two was mixed in several generations back the test will have trouble picking that up.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I agree that there is probably some Yorkie there, given his blue and tan coloring and silky looking coat, but he's likely not a purebred. Then again, I've seen registered dogs who barely resemble the breed they are registered as.

Whatever he is, he's cute, and is lucky you wanted him.

·
Banned
18 Posts
If the hairdresser was the breeder and said Yokie then bad standard yorkie or york mix he is.

He really looks like my ex sister in law's registered Australian Terrier who was pretty hefty, weighed as much as my vacuum cleaner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts