Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new here. We have three animals, Tiki the cat (2), Kirsch the shih-poo (1 1/2) and Kahlua, a husky mix (10 weeks approx.)

We got Kahlua a week ago at the local shelter. She was violently ill two days ago and we found out she has parvo. She is at the vet getting every treatment possible right now. I am worried sick, she is just sweet as she can be and you know how you get attached to them so quickly. The vet said that he thinks she has a greater than 50% chance of survival right now, that she is doing well, but still not eating.

I know I need to bleach basically the entire house, yard, deck. What do I do about the carpet/couch? Honestly, we can't afford professional cleaners. Should I be worried about our other dog? The vet doesn't seem to think so since he is updated on shots. I guess I'm just worried.

And if she does make it and come home, is she always going to be infected with parvo? Will her poop always be contagious to other dogs?

Here are some pictures of my baby girl. Please pray that she will be ok, we already love her to death.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm so sorry your baby has parvo. =( We went through a similar incident when my pomeranian, Koda (who passed away) supposedly had distemper... or liver shunt. But because of the distemper threat, we had to do a full-scale cleaning, so I know how you feel!

Bleaching is great, and should kill most of the disease. For the couches? What we did was used our Bissel cleaner (if you have one... or could you borrow a friends?) and run it over the furniture. We also practically soaked everything in Lysol spray.

Your older dog, also, should be okay... though I'm not an expert in parvo. If I'm correct, though, older dogs *can* carry parvo, though it doesn't hurt them. Other than that, I just suggest a google search for anything else parvo-related you can find. I sure hope your baby gets better! I know how terrible it feels when something like this happens. Just keep your chin up high!

...Also, here's a link I found with a puppy parvo FAQ: http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

-Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eyssa! I guess I don't know if I should start the cleaning now or wait until we see what happens.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Oh NO!! I'm so sorry!! :( I haven't dealt with parvo personally, but from what I've read bleach is the only thing that will get rid of it... I'm not sure even upholstery cleaning would get rid of it on furniture... I hope I'm wrong about that. Please keep us posted... what a sweetheart... gorgeous puppy and gorgeous photos of her!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my friend's dog had parvo straight out of the pet store....the puppy had spent his first weekend with me so I bleached everything including my carpet. Basically, you use a bleach solution made up of 1 part bleach, 9 parts water.

there are other strong disinfectants that you can buy at pet supply stores but I read that bleach is the best thing. I don't think Lysol is meant to kill parvo. Parvo is a hardy virus; it can remain on an object for 7 months.

|hope your pup gets better soon! She's adorable!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
When I talked to my vet about Sonny, and how the gal told me they got a bad bag of dog food that killed them and Sonny barely survived, he kind of chuckled and said he didn't think it was a bad bag of food at all. He honestly felt that they had parvo run through, and since Sonny had survived, if it was parvo, he won't get it again as he'll be immune to it. But anyways, he's got his shots anyways, as there was no way to prove if it was parvo or not, but he really thinks it probably was. So if your baby makes it, she shouldn't have any more problems with it down the road, as she'll be immune to it. But it doesn't mean that she won't carry it. But like someone mentioned above, some adult dogs do carry it and you don't know. Hope she get's over it soon so she can come home.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Just wondering how your pup is doing? There is a sticky on this forum that tells you how to do a Parvo clean up. Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone,

Kahlua is still fighting, it is day 8. She continued with the bloody diarrhea and not eating, on IV fluids all weekend. Yesterday the diarrhea finally stopped and she ate a little, she got to come home yesterday afternoon! Right now we have her isolated from our other dog on a small section of tile. She is still not eating for me and sleeping a lot but she hasn't had any diarrhea for awhile. We go back to the vet at 11:00 today to check in and make sure she has not become dehydrated.

Fortunately, we have had excellent care. The shelter is paying for all of her care since she most likely got parvo before we adopted her. If they weren't there is no way we could have afforded it, the weekend emergency clinic was $1000 alone!

We bleached everything, the yard, the floors, the deck. The vet sent us home with parvosol which was safe to use on furniture so I went around and sprayed every inch of carpet and couch. Hopefully we are parvo-free.

It is looking like she is going to make it but I guess we cannot be sure until she is 100% better, thanks for your support everyone! I will let you know when she is eating, running around, and back to her normal puppy self!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, as soon as I wrote that she had a big pile of bloody diarrhea. She is back at the vet on fluids again.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
The virus will shed in body fluids for a month or two after symptoms are gone. So keep up the disinfection. Lysol is fine for anything that can't be bleached. Wehn your dog comes home I would keep it isolated from the others and in a place that has an easily mopped floor so clean up is easier with bleach. Also have her eliminate in a very specific area, not allowing the other dogs to go there.

Wehad a psrvo positive foster litter and were advised against having any animals that were elderly, under one year old, or otherwise immunocompromised at our house for the next year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So sorry to hear about your pup. :( Parvo is a truly awful disease, but shouldn't effect your older dog provided that she is up to date on her shots.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hope your baby is doing well!

I had a foster last year who got Parvo. We got her in on the two day mark as well and she made it though. She was not eating for a few days either but eventually the appitite came back and she was able to come home.

We bleached the yard, floors (not carpets) and walls and ALL the dog equipment. I also bleached all the dog beds and collars and toys.

We steamed and shampooed our carpet and couches best we could and sprayed them down. You dog will carry parvo in her for 3 months after she has a clean bill of health. But she will be immune to parvo ever after :)

Your other dogs are also going to be carriers of parvo for the next while. Do not bring them to public places and if they poop anywhere bring a small bottle of bleach with you to spray that area after you pick it up.

Parvo will be present in your yard and house for the next two years at least. DO NOT bring any puppies or elder dogs into your home for the next two years to be on the safe side.

It seems like a lot of work and worry now, but it gets easier.

Hugs to your little girl and you and your family.

·
Registered
155 Posts
MJ, so sorry to hear that your baby is so sick. She is so beautiful! I hope she gets better real soon!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Please, please, please update us! Another member just lost her baby to parvo and I am extra worried about yours now.
I am so hoping for a happy ending here.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.