Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have two aussies -- one 4 year old male and a 3 month old female. Love them both a TON. The Australian Shepherd breed is just my favorite and I see myself having this type of dog my entire life :)

I've read the breed standard, but I'm really not very good at looking at a dog based on the breed standard and knowing what's going on. I love my dogs and don't really care whether they are perfect or show dogs or anything, but I am curious how they measure up. I'd also like to know so I either go back (or do not go back) to the two breeders I got them from. OH, and I added one hilarious one of Judy sleeping like a nut.

And their names are Charlie and Judy. :D

IMG_6897.jpg IMG_6635.jpg IMG_6563.jpg IMG_6952.jpg IMG_6644.jpg IMG_6522.jpg

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
They are both very cute! I agree that there is no way to evaluate unless you have them standing sideways, such as in a conformation stack. Charlie looks a little butt high in the topline, but it could just be the angle.

Do the breeders show at all? If it is important to you to have a dog that conforms to standard it is best to go with a breeder that breeds toward the standard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!

Charlie's breeders were breeding more herding dogs (rural farm) and Judy's were more show-y. Both of them are sweet a pie though and neither are so crazed with the herding that they make bad house dogs -- but we're not bad dog people, so maybe it's us!

Here are a couple more pics :)

Love these pups -- I'll probably end up with 20 before it's all said and done.

IMG_7126.jpg IMG_7118.JPG.jpg IMG_0722.jpg

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
They aren't bad looking dogs, neither of them have any serious faults per the standard, and both have good breed type (both obviously Aussies) As far as faults go, Charlie looks to be quite straight in the shoulder and a little long in the hocks with a short upper arm, and Judy seems to be straighter in both the shoulder and the rear but it could just because she's not used to standing for photos, overall she appears more balanced in angulation than Charlie. Charlie does not have a good topline but that is mostly due to the disparity between his front and rear assembly.
Both of them appear to have good head shape and decent bone and good tight feet, Charlie might be a little down on his pasterns but not much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts