Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok the bad behavior: Jumping at and Biting

I'm trying desprately to figure out WHY she is doing this, so that i can try and stop this..

i walk her every morning on leash from our house and across the street utill it's safe for me to let her off and let her run off leash and we walk for an hour...and then when we come back i put her back on leash (for crossing the street and going home) she knows when i stop and pull the leash back out to come and sit by my feet so i can put her back on...AND THEN she attacks..it's not 'agressive' per say, just jumping at me, biting/pulling on my gloves..and arm/coat sleeve. my coat is shreaded, my right forearm is covered in bruises. - I cross my arms and turn away, and she'll stop. sit quietly. AS soon as i take another step it starts again. and it's a fight the rest of way home.

In the afternoons my sister brings her inside (she has a pen/house in the yard) to play with her and the dog does the same thing to her when she starts getting ready to put her back outside ie: putting the leash on her and putting her coat and mits on.

--she'll also do this 'out of the blue' if i'm just walking her in town on leash.

both me and my sister have noticed its ONLY our right forearms that end up with bruises(don't know if this has any relevance)

she tends to be aimed at stealing our gloves/mits (or so it seems..)
it used to seem directed at 'demanding treats' (so i stopped carrying treats)

It most frequently happens when 'play time is over' (tho does happen some other times)

In the house she is always stealing gloves/socks/mits/touques/ as if to get attention..becaue if she steals them and we ignore her she comes up to us and is like "look what i have!!"

ok so just in writing this i'm realizing she probably just wants to play more...... but still what do i do? as in what are things i can play with her?i can only stand so much tug of war...and fetch only keeps her attention for so long... and any other ways to discourage her from jumping and biting?? i can't exactly lock her in a room and ignore her while i'm in the middle of walking her home.....

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You got it.....it's all about attention. I suspect the problem is that you've never taught her the things that will always earn your time and attention. By that, I mean if she sits nicely/politely, whether on her own or by command, are you giving her the appropriate attention?....you should. You have to always respond to the good things that she does and she will do more and more of them.
That's the long term goal. Short term....how to stop it now. Several methods but, they all require you to stop the jumping/biting BEFORE it happens....not after. When you see the 'attack' coming you can; Hold out your hand like a stop sign (body blocking her); You can use a sharp "UTTT!"; You can quickly invade HER space before she invades yours by doing quick Cha Cha steps towards her; Ask for a sit before she jumps...praise, pet, treat (giving EARNED attention); You can quickly turn away but, again, you MUST praise/treat/reward for NOT jumping...just her standing still earns your attention.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Really good advice from TooneyDogs. You told me the same thing and it's working for Tucker P (and me). The hard part is catching the moment that triggers the behavior.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
:)..thanks for the advice :)....ya and your right..i guess we accidentally taught her that stealing socks/jumping/biting is "good" because obviously thats what always gets our attention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts