Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new dog owner.. I have been around plenty of dogs that friends had, or for instance, have a girlfriend that has two herself.. But have never experienced raising one myself.. first of all, my puppy is 8 weeks old as of today.. he is a mix between yorkie and dachshund or however you spell it lol.. i call him a dorkie.. but i digress.. just in the past day or two, i have been trying to introduce him to dry puppy food.. i noticed that while he was eating his wet, canned food he would hurry through it.. eating it very quickly.. i thought that once he had the dry food, he would slow down and chew it, but it seems that because of how fast he would devour the softer, wet food, that he has developed a habit for practically inhaling it.. and with the dry food, i worry that he will either choke, or get sick from it.. as he eats, ive tried to slow him down myself by hand feeding him and listening for the crunching sounds indicating that hes actually chewing, but he still swallows it whole.. and ive seen him throw up whole pieces before.. now my questions are, one.. is he too young to start on dry puppy food? and two, if not.. how can i help him slow down, and actually chew his food??

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't think that eating dry food at 8 weeks is a big issue, but you may want to moisten it a bit with some water. I used to mix an egg into my dog's food when they were puppies.

Also, hand feeding is a good idea to get him to slow down. What I would do is measure out the amount of kibble you feed during a meal. Then sit on the floor and grab one piece at a time, and hide the bowl behind your back. Then hold onto the piece of food and let your puppy lick and chew at the one piece. Your fingers will probably get a bit nibbled on, but it should help it to learn that slowing down is okay.

Also, how often and how much are you feeding him?

·
Registered
89 Posts
You could put a ball in his bowl to slow him down or use a treat ball, wetting food and letting it soak for a bit will also help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well from what ive been told by friends, i am feeding him 3-4 times a day, and that i should over time work towards 2 times a day.. as for the amount, i havent exactly measured it each time but more eyeballed it.. roughly 1/2 a cup i would assume.. i feel fairly ignorant to the concept of raising a puppy, and worry about seeming like an idiot with certain things i say, or ask lol.. would that amount be too much or too little?? or is the frequency off?? i know that he is very active, and that he will burn lots of calories, but i know i dont want to over feed him.. but every time he eats, he acts as though he hasnt eaten in years lol.. is this normal with puppies? or as asked before, is his feeding schedule, or amount wrong?? lol i didnt think that having a puppy would require research.. :p

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
well from what ive been told by friends, i am feeding him 3-4 times a day, and that i should over time work towards 2 times a day.. as for the amount, i havent exactly measured it each time but more eyeballed it.. roughly 1/2 a cup i would assume.. i feel fairly ignorant to the concept of raising a puppy, and worry about seeming like an idiot with certain things i say, or ask lol.. would that amount be too much or too little?? or is the frequency off?? i know that he is very active, and that he will burn lots of calories, but i know i dont want to over feed him.. but every time he eats, he acts as though he hasnt eaten in years lol.. is this normal with puppies? or as asked before, is his feeding schedule, or amount wrong?? lol i didnt think that having a puppy would require research.. :p
What kind of dog food are you feeding? And is that a 1/3 of a cup at each feeding?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
both the wet food he started on and the dry food im starting him on now are pedigree puppy food.. and yes, roughly 1/3 of a cup at each feeding.. perhaps slightly less, but approximately 1/3...

·
Registered
559 Posts
If he has one of those stainless steel food bowls, you can turn it upside down and put the food in the edge - that'll slow him down a bit. Also you can give it to him in a puzzle toy, like a tug-a-jug. That will really slow him down, plus it makes him "work" for his food, which is good for his little brain.

Also, I know I speak for all of us when I say - POST PICS! We can always use pics of adorable baby puppies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts