Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ... we just got our dog, it's an 8 month old american lab ... at first he seemed to be shy and quite; however after few days, he started biting our hands and legs when he gets too excited during playtime and unfortunately shouting back at him does not work! How can we stop this behavior?!

·
Super Moderator
3,339 Posts
This is not at all unusual for even an 8 month old, especially a lab. They're a retriever, and can be a bit mouthy. Shouting often does not work, because they just think you're playing and it just gets them more excited.

Instead, when puppy bites, redirect to a toy and praise him for using it. If he insists on biting, end play. Step over a baby gate, close a door, whatever it takes to simply leave the dog. Play is done for 10-15 minutes. After the time out, you can try again. This method will teach the puppy that biting and getting overexcited results in an end to fun. This is not an overnight fix. It will take weeks, even months. Be patient and consistent, and remember dogs explore the world with their mouths. It's very difficult for them to learn how to interact with humans!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ... we just got our dog, it's an 8 month old american lab ... at first he seemed to be shy and quite; however after few days, he started biting our hands and legs when he gets too excited during playtime and unfortunately shouting back at him does not work! How can we stop this behavior?!
The way I taught my pup not to bite was by placing my thumb to the back of her mouth as she is biting and pushing her cheek skin between her biting teeth saying no bite. After she stopped biting I praised her and provided a suitable toy for "us" to play with. I say "us", because the more you interact with your dog, the more opportunities you will have to correct bad behaviors and influence good, a much stronger bond will be formed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all never yell at your dog.Use a toy or push on the back of their mouth to stop the bite,,most important is to praise them when they do what you want.Be patient a puppy is a puppy they need to learn. So some behaviors take time and biteing is one of them. Just be consistant and talk to them. No,good boy, good girl, ect. Let them know when they do right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts