1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She'll go 2-4 days of very solid poops and then diarrhea for 1 or 2 days
2 days of solid poops and then diarrhea again
No other symptoms and she seems to be doing great

What could cause this? I took her to the vet and the vet said she was super healthy. Should I try to feed her more in morning and afternoon and cut off dinner at 5? Why would she only have diarrhea at night time? What's weird is that 2 days ago for example, she had diarrhea for like 3 hours. She had loose stool at 11 pm and then she pooped in her cage at 3 am. I woke her up and took her outside and she didn't go at all at 6 am. Then she didn't poop all day until like 7 pm and it was solid. I wake up and I see there's diarrhea in her cage. This is never a problem during the day. It always happens between 11 pm and like 7 am or 11 pm to 3 am.

What would cause this on and off thing? Everytime this happens, I'm skipping breakfast. Should I just keep feeding her normal cycle?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
With her history of digestive issues and the vet not finding anything in terms of parasites or infections, I would be putting this dog on a diet specifically for dogs with sensitive digestion for a while, be really careful not to overfeed, and see how she does. Potentially with probiotics as well. When my older dog had a major stomach upset earlier this year, this is the strategy I took in order to allow his gut to heal from all the inflammation and irritation he'd gone through, even though we didn't ever find out the exact cause of the problem.

For the record, we used Purina ProPlan OptiDigest/Sensitive Digestion, which does come in a puppy formula.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With her history of digestive issues and the vet not finding anything in terms of parasites or infections, I would be putting this dog on a diet specifically for dogs with sensitive digestion for a while, be really careful not to overfeed, and see how she does. Potentially with probiotics as well. When my older dog had a major stomach upset earlier this year, this is the strategy I took in order to allow his gut to heal from all the inflammation and irritation he'd gone through, even though we didn't ever find out the exact cause of the problem.

For the record, we used Purina ProPlan OptiDigest/Sensitive Digestion, which does come in a puppy formula.

why would she have these problems on and off? She is a very healthy and strong 5 month old pup

·
Registered
44 Posts
Could she be stressed in the crate at night? Sometimes my new pup stresses and barfs.
Digestive Enzymes/probiotics wouldn't hurt.
What are you feeding? Maybe a dinner of chicken/rice for a few days would help.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
To be honest, it doesn't matter why she's having trouble. From your posts, she's been struggling with this since you've gotten her, and your priority needs to be to get her gut happy again, especially since she's a growing puppy. Especially if you still haven't tried anything but Bullymax food. As you've been told before, just because it works for other put bulls doesn't mean it'll work for her.

I'm intolerant to several foods considered really healthy for humans, primarily coconut oil. Sometimes I can eat it in something and be fine, others not so much. Sometimes that same food that I was fine with last time sets me off this time. My sibling can eat anything coconut no problem, even though we're so close genetically. You have to look at the individual in front of you when figuring out what diet works for them, not others with similar genetics/breed/build/etc.

And again, be really sure you're not overfeeding. That'll get you a fat dog with digestive problems, not a muscular or healthy one. Often the feeding guidelines on dog food are on the high end, and many dogs do better on less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts