Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, My 4 year old dog started snapping and biting kinds. One child she was fimilar with and had was petting her very nice. Then with no warning very aggressively jumped up bit the young girl in the face. It really was no more than a scratch but it did draw a little blood. A couple of months ago she did the same thing to a childs hand. I didn't really hurt the kids but did scare the heck out of them. I horrified she may get worse and really turn on someone's child. Maybe my own. My husband wants to get rid of her. My family says a biting dog will always bite. What should I do?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Anytime there is a change in behaviour you should visit your vet. He may be in pain somewhere that you are unaware of or have some other issue...So before you rehome him please go to vet and make sure there isn'y anything going on.

The other possibilty is that a child or a shorter person didn't respect the dog's boundaries and now the dog doesn't like kids. Kids are famous for annoying an animal even when the adults are not looking.

For now keep him away from children and if you are out walking ot have kids in yoru house even for a few minutes muzzle him so he cannot bite, or put him in his crate until the kids are gone. But really go see the vet.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My old dog started doing that too but it was with older kids and teenagers and the only thing I absolutely knew why she started was because of teenage kids taunting her through the fence. The dogs can't tell the difference between one and the other, all they know is they are being teased. Your dog may have experienced something similar and you may not have witnessed it. i don't have an answer for you but all we could do is keep her away from the older kids

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Vet check and no kids until this is resolved. The warning signs are subtle....ears going back/flatter to the skull, 'freezing' in place, dogs body goes tense, eyes focused dead ahead or flitting left and right nervously and the bite happens soon after a lip curl or twitch in the extreme corners of the mouth.
Also, there is a difference between petting and prolonged petting that crosses the line into one of dominance.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I agree with the prolonged petting.

Many dogs do not like people petting the top of their head, or patting the top of their head. Some dogs find it very uncomfortable, and eventually as a challenge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
She went for a vet check last month. I took her for just for her strange behavior. But, all was clear. I thought about having someone come out and analize her and see if she has a behavior problem. What do you think?

She has a perfect vet check. She minds all of her commands. I have never seen her do this personally so you can imagine how hard it is to even understand what my husband has seen or is telling me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did she bite BEFORE the vet visit at all? If she didn't then she should go back really. Tell the vet what she is doing and see what they say. She may just not like the jerky, quick movements of a child's hand near her face. Does she have any sores that or lumps or bumps around her face that you can feel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She bit the other childs hand before the vet visit and that was the main reason it took her to the vet. She had been acting odd. I did have my teenage step daughter move in with us about the same time she started this strange behavior. My step daughter is 17 but not overly friendly to our dog but I wouldn't say she is mean to the dog either. Do you think this is a territory thing? Although, the bites did happen just outside of the yard.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The vast majority of bites happen when a dog feels directly threatened. Bites while guarding territory are very few. Resource guarding of food or space is another issue/cause for bites but, again, the dog feels threatened when someone tries to take them.
It sounds like the relationship with the SD is suspect and your idea of bringing in someone to view the interactions is a good one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't forget to have a thyroid test done. Believe it or not a lot of vets miss this. Thyroid disorders can be liked to behavioral problems.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Don't forget to have a thyroid test done. Believe it or not a lot of vets miss this. Thyroid disorders can be liked to behavioral problems.
Just came to chime in about thyroid disorders. My mutt started lashing out at my boyfriend and I violently for "no reason" a year or so ago. I took her to the vet and "every thing" checked out. Then I asked a community for advice and they told me to get a full panel done. Bam. It was her thyroid. She has to go in for blood work every few months and get steroid shots, but the behavior went away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts