Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a 3 months old poodle and it's my first time ever owning a dog. Lately, I noticed that he won't eat anything except for meat (specially chicken breast, chicken thighs..chicken in brief). He also refuses to eat his dog salami or canned dog food. He used to eat vegetables like carrots, potatoes..etc. As well as rice and pasta. He used to eat eggs too and he loves it, now he rejects them too.
Now, all he does is lick anything I offer him and then reject it (except of course for the meat).
Does this have anything to do with him being in "changing teeth" phase? Or has he become picky?
What do I do to make him eat?
It kinda makes me frustrated to cook him special meals that end up being thrown in the bin. And I'm also getting worried about his health!
Do you have ideas about recipes that he would love ? I would love your suggestions !

·
Super Moderator
11,460 Posts
Two thoughts: It is reasonable to be worried about his health and I would start with a vet check to make sure there are no medical issues that are causing loss of appetite. And 2, most dogs, once they get a taste of real meat, they are reluctant to go back to kibble or canned.

Conventional wisdom is, a healthy dog won't starve himself, though he might hold out for quite a while. But first, you need to be certain he's healthy. Only a vet can do that.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
First of all, what size poodle? Toy breed puppies are prone to hypoglycemia and so them not eating well is extra concerning. I agree with RonE about checking with a vet, especially if this change was sudden.

It sounds like you're doing a mostly homemade diet? If so it's really important to be feeding an appropriate balance, including organ meats and a source of calcium, especially for growing puppies. I haven't done homecooked (I feed primarily prey model raw) before, but I know others on this forum have, so hopefully they'll chime in. Meat alone isn't balanced, but it sounds like you're aware of that.

I'd make an effort to get him back on a high quality complete food (I'm guessing 'dog sausage' is one of those food rolls that's a complete diet, right?). Try mixing a little bit of the food roll or wet food in with his meat, then slow increasing the complete food while decreasing the amount of meat every meal. If he's a larger puppy, it's not a big deal if he misses a meal or two by being fussy. If you give in and feed him whatever he wants, you're just teaching him that he can refuse 'boring' food to get the 'good stuff'. Kinda like the whole "you can't have dessert until you eat your vegetables" thing with kids. If he's a tiny toy pup it'll be harder, unfortunately, because missing a meal at that size can cause blood sugar to crash, so it might take a longer time to transition him back to an appropriate diet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Here is a pic of him laying on my bed xD I don't know names of dog breeds too much to be honest, haha.

Yesterday, I made him chicken rice with cheese (tried not to put too much because I heard dogs may display lactose intolerance) and he ate it but only when I fed him with my hand. Today, he enjoyed eating a chicken vegetable pie that we cooked for ourselves but I decided to give him some to see if he would eat it, and he did !
I will supervise him more and see if he keeps rejecting food or will get back to eating. He doesn't seem to display any illness symptoms, but I'll take him to a vet just in case.

·
Super Moderator
11,460 Posts
Looks more like a schnauzer mix than a poodle. Schnauzers in particular are subject to pancreatitis, which can be very serious. Your vet would likely do blood work to check for anemia. It's treatable, but I would make that appointment ASAP. You might just have a picky eater, but I'd rule out medical issues first.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Do you know how big he is? I asked because poodles come in sizes from 'toy' (under 10lbs) to 'standard' (some can get up to 90lbs!), so obviously a pretty big difference! The really tiny guys are the ones with more trouble controlling their blood sugar, especially as puppies. I agree that he's most likely a mix if he does have poodle in him, going by that picture.

Since you're new to dogs, take a look at this list:

https://www.caninejournal.com/foods-not-to-feed-dog/

Some table scraps are fine, but it's important to remember that foods that are safe/balanced for us aren't necessarily safe or balanced for our canine friends. It's also fine to do a homemade diet but again, I suggest you look up dog-specific recipes to make sure he's getting everything a growing pup needs. A good homemade dog diet will be meat-based and include organ (like liver) and some source of calcium (ground egg shells, tablets, etc.).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Do go to the vet to have his overall health evaluated.

Tiny dogs need tiny amounts of food. If you get 10 kibbles in him then his tummy could be nice and full but you wouldn't think he had eaten a thing! Then he will need another tiny meal in a few hours. Hydration is also vital, is he drinking much water on his own?

An unbalanced diet like he is getting now won't just impair his future health but it can make him feel sick now. Think what happens if you over indulge in chocolate cake - tummy ache and you don't want to eat. Some human foods like grapes/raisins, onion, chocolate and a few others are outright dangerous for dogs. Your nice pie likely had onion in it. No more prepared foods like that please!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm trying to figure out a balanced diet for him but he seems to be too picky.
I know about the food you mentionned and how it can be dangerous for dogs. And no, the pie didn't have any onions. It was made with potatoes, cauliflower, zucchini and chicken.
I always make sure to keep him hydrated as well.

I think right now that I need to get him to the vet for a health check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts