Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have 2 female Mongrels..when they were young they do mingle a lot..but when my older dog, Sugar, start puberty, she becomes aggressive (most of the time) whenever i pet the other dog..maybe she's jealous?

In result, I have to leash them and now I cannot walk them at the same time. I'm just hoping I can walk them again.

I also noticed this. When I unleash them at the park, they don't fight. One time I called them and pet both of them. Suddenly, Sugar snarled then they fight and playtime was spoiled.

Other instance was when I'm petting Sugar then Coleen, my other dog, came near to us. Then Sugar just started barking so to prevent trouble I just leashed them both and we go home.

I just noticed Sugar was kinda possessive over me...only against Coleen

Any help? thank you

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey there, are your pups spayed? What have you done up to this point? You can try to gradually condition sugar to enjoy Coleen's presences by give her a treat and praise when she does not act aggressively when you're around. During this, you can step closer to Coleen, and if Sugar doesn't react negative, she gets a treat. Keep doing this until you can calmly place a hand on Coleen for a brief moment, and give Sugar a treat and praise for being good. Then move to holding your hand longer on Coleen, and reward Sugar for being not aggressive. Repeat, and gradually pet and interact with Coleen more and more. This way Sugar can see Coleen as a source of reward instead of a source of competition. You can use this idea (rewarding Sugar for Coleen's being there) and apply it to other things, like the walk. You have to take it very slow though and gradually build up Sugar's tolerance until she enjoys being around Coleen. If Sugar becomes aggressive, take a step back and try again at a point where Sugar was sucessful and try again.

In addition, adolescent dogs benefit from more exercise to exert some of the extra energy and frustration. Also, training or enrolling Sugar in an activity (ie agility, trick training, or obedience training), can give her something to focus on and burn mental energy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi,my dogs are not spayed. Why should i do it?

sadly i dont have very much enough time for them to have an exercise or long walk...

i work at night and get home by 10AM the next day and go to work by 7PM..so i dont really have plenty of time left...in exchange, i usually unleash them at the park every sunday and monday morning for about an hour or two so they can play (w/c no prob occur)...also I wake up 5PM on weekdays so I can walk them one at a time 15 min each...also when i get home, i usually unleash sugar and then leash her and unleash coleen when i wake up so they they can have at least exercise (w/c i think produces somewhat good result)

i know its not enough exerise for them but i have no better option..that's the bet thing i can do for them for now..maybe they just need right exercise so they dont get frustrated a each other

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
First off welcome to the forum. Second, spay your dogs. It will help prevent unwanted puppies, health issues and behavior problems.

15hours away from the house every day is too long, is there someone who can walk them for you in the morning on those days? I'm guessing you work 12 hour shifts, so not five days a week? If so make arrangements on those days for someone to walk them, and when you get home at 10 am take them for a walk before you go to bed for the day, get up a bit early and walk them again before you leave, even if it's a short walk it's better than nothing. Of course spay them and work around that when they recover, but the lack of hormones will help.

Also get them into some training so they have something else to do with their time besides quarrel. Setting some 'house rules' will help as well as getting them spayed.

If you don't have time to walk them, you are not going to have time to deal with both of them having puppies, which would be a lot more work than a walk. If you can't commit to making some changes then you might want to look at rehoming them where they will get that time. And spay them first if you do that, or contact a rescue who can make sure they get spayed.

And if I didn't mention it, spay your dogs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
hi,my dogs are not spayed. Why should i do it?

sadly i dont have very much enough time for them to have an exercise or long walk...

i work at night and get home by 10AM the next day and go to work by 7PM..so i dont really have plenty of time left...in exchange, i usually unleash them at the park every sunday and monday morning for about an hour or two so they can play (w/c no prob occur)...also I wake up 5PM on weekdays so I can walk them one at a time 15 min each...also when i get home, i usually unleash sugar and then leash her and unleash coleen when i wake up so they they can have at least exercise (w/c i think produces somewhat good result)

i know its not enough exerise for them but i have no better option..that's the bet thing i can do for them for now..maybe they just need right exercise so they dont get frustrated a each other
Well, there are many reasons why to spay your dog. It will prevent unwanted puppies, help prevent cancer and infection of the reproductive tract, and extend their life span. Having puppies at a very young age can be dangerous for a young dog, and can result in the death of both mother and puppies in the worst of cases. Unneutered male dogs can smell a female in heat miles away, so they will manage to find your dogs when they come into heat. Also a dog in heat can be very annoying, and be drawn to try to escape home in order to find a mate. A dog in heat is also a messy thing to deal with; it will bleed from its vagina while they’re in heat. This will last about two weeks, about twice a year. In addition unspayed female dogs, when they start maturing, will compete with other female dogs, and can develop behavioral problems like aggression and being territorial. This doesn’t mean all unsprayed females will be aggressive, but the fluctuations in hormones can make it more likely. Spaying a dog might change its behavior and make it more docile, also sometimes it shortens adolescences and the dog will display adult behaviors more early.

You have to find a way to exercise your dogs more. Do you have a treadmill? You can try to put them on the treadmill while you get ready for work or when you’re doing housework. Though, I recommend trying to walk them more. Walking is a little bit more important than off-leashed play time. The structure of a walk not only physically challenges them, but also mentally as well. It is also a good bonding experience for you and the dogs. You can try to put more time into walking, and less time into play time and see how it helps. If you can put more intensity into the walk, they won’t have to be as long; you can do things like jogging, bicycling, rollerblading, etc. If you can’t walk them, you should hire a dog walking, or find someone to take them out while you’re gone. And this goes the same with training, you have to put some time into training every day. With training, the sessions do not have to be long, 5-10 minutes, but they have to happen. You can also get someone to train your dogs too, but it would take away the bonding experience you would get.

There has to be rules in your household as well. Dogs thrive when their lives are structured. Having a schedule really helps, and enforcing the rules of the house (waiting to be fed, sitting nicely before a walk, etc) will teach the dogs to respect you as well. When you become a resource, not a leader, the dogs will fight over your attention.

You have to really think to yourself, how dedicated you are to your dogs. If you really love them, you have to fulfill their needs and help to grow into well-behaved, stable dogs. If you really want to keep them, you must find a way to provide them everything that they need, not just food, water, and play. But if you do not have the time to raise them the way they need to be, you have to make the decision to give them away to families who can. It’s a hard thing to do, but it’s for the dogs’ best interest, and it will spare you the added stress if this is tearing you up. The problem is going to get worse if something isn’t done to help them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, there are many reasons why to spay your dog. It will prevent unwanted puppies, help prevent cancer and infection of the reproductive tract, and extend their life span. Having puppies at a very young age can be dangerous for a young dog, and can result in the death of both mother and puppies in the worst of cases. Unneutered male dogs can smell a female in heat miles away, so they will manage to find your dogs when they come into heat. Also a dog in heat can be very annoying, and be drawn to try to escape home in order to find a mate. A dog in heat is also a messy thing to deal with; it will bleed from its vagina while they’re in heat. This will last about two weeks, about twice a year. In addition unspayed female dogs, when they start maturing, will compete with other female dogs, and can develop behavioral problems like aggression and being territorial. This doesn’t mean all unsprayed females will be aggressive, but the fluctuations in hormones can make it more likely. Spaying a dog might change its behavior and make it more docile, also sometimes it shortens adolescences and the dog will display adult behaviors more early.

You have to find a way to exercise your dogs more. Do you have a treadmill? You can try to put them on the treadmill while you get ready for work or when you’re doing housework. Though, I recommend trying to walk them more. Walking is a little bit more important than off-leashed play time. The structure of a walk not only physically challenges them, but also mentally as well. It is also a good bonding experience for you and the dogs. You can try to put more time into walking, and less time into play time and see how it helps. If you can put more intensity into the walk, they won’t have to be as long; you can do things like jogging, bicycling, rollerblading, etc. If you can’t walk them, you should hire a dog walking, or find someone to take them out while you’re gone. And this goes the same with training, you have to put some time into training every day. With training, the sessions do not have to be long, 5-10 minutes, but they have to happen. You can also get someone to train your dogs too, but it would take away the bonding experience you would get.

There has to be rules in your household as well. Dogs thrive when their lives are structured. Having a schedule really helps, and enforcing the rules of the house (waiting to be fed, sitting nicely before a walk, etc) will teach the dogs to respect you as well. When you become a resource, not a leader, the dogs will fight over your attention.

You have to really think to yourself, how dedicated you are to your dogs. If you really love them, you have to fulfill their needs and help to grow into well-behaved, stable dogs. If you really want to keep them, you must find a way to provide them everything that they need, not just food, water, and play. But if you do not have the time to raise them the way they need to be, you have to make the decision to give them away to families who can. It’s a hard thing to do, but it’s for the dogs’ best interest, and it will spare you the added stress if this is tearing you up. The problem is going to get worse if something isn’t done to help them.
ah,so that's why when Sugar menstruate,she became more territorial when it comes to my attention. Which means more disaster will come when Coleen reach hers.

For the walking time, since I dont have enough time, I try to enforce this schedule. I'll wake up 1 hour early so I have time walking them SEPARATELY. Since Coleen is a much larger dog, I walk her in the whole village while Sugar walks half. OK, I'll try to walk them when I get home start tomorrow.

Another thing I do is I unleash Sugar in the morning then leash her when I wake up then unleash Coleen. With this, I try to minimize their excitement to run off-leash which helps a lot.

Sorry I don't have treadmill and for other member of family to take over the walking time, sorry they dont want to do that either. I am the only one that take over. I don't really prefer to hire a walker coz I want to experience the bonding 100% so I think I have to make sacrifices for that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
ah,so that's why when Sugar menstruate,she became more territorial when it comes to my attention. Which means more disaster will come when Coleen reach hers.

For the walking time, since I dont have enough time, I try to enforce this schedule. I'll wake up 1 hour early so I have time walking them SEPARATELY. Since Coleen is a much larger dog, I walk her in the whole village while Sugar walks half. OK, I'll try to walk them when I get home start tomorrow.

Another thing I do is I unleash Sugar in the morning then leash her when I wake up then unleash Coleen. With this, I try to minimize their excitement to run off-leash which helps a lot.

Sorry I don't have treadmill and for other member of family to take over the walking time, sorry they dont want to do that either. I am the only one that take over. I don't really prefer to hire a walker coz I want to experience the bonding 100% so I think I have to make sacrifices for that.
I hope everything goes well for you :) It's sad that your other family members don't want to help you. Dogs like interacting with different people (usually, lol), and they learn how to socialize with people in general. If you cannot spay your dogs, or don't want to, I strongly recommend putting doggie diapers or something on them when they're bleeding like that. Make sure they wear the diaper, or whatever you choose, especially when they go outside. It will block a male dog from mating with Sugar so she doesn't have puppies (same with Coleen). Good luck with the training, it'll be a lot of hard work and time, but it'll be worth it in the end. Once you're able to walk Sugar and Coleen together, they can have longer walks, and be more tired and well behaved :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope everything goes well for you :) It's sad that your other family members don't want to help you. Dogs like interacting with different people (usually, lol), and they learn how to socialize with people in general. If you cannot spay your dogs, or don't want to, I strongly recommend putting doggie diapers or something on them when they're bleeding like that. Make sure they wear the diaper, or whatever you choose, especially when they go outside. It will block a male dog from mating with Sugar so she doesn't have puppies (same with Coleen). Good luck with the training, it'll be a lot of hard work and time, but it'll be worth it in the end. Once you're able to walk Sugar and Coleen together, they can have longer walks, and be more tired and well behaved :D
can't wait for that! thanks..i'll post some updates of our walks sooner

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I look foward to reading your updates. It'll be awesome to see the progress you make :D
hi, i said it wrong sorry

Sugar tends to be aggressive when I'm with Coleen and we're near her. At first, she'll just get excited to see me. Then, I'll stop so she can mingle to Coleen ever for a while. Then Sugar will sniff Coleen's end. Looks normal to me so I let it. Fight escalates when Coleen face Sugar when she's sniffing her back or when they stare at each other.

What I do now is I hold Coleen and we go near her and let her sniff Coleen while I'm holding Coleen's collar and not letting her face Sugar.

Am I doing it right? Coleen's tail was tucked in between her legs as if she was afraid when Sugar sniffs her. Should I let her sniff Coleen while not letting Coleen to look? Or should I do the other way -- hold Sugar and let her be sniffed by Coleen.

NOTE: Sugar always brings the fight first.

Thank you!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hmmm, you don't want Coleen to be afraid of Sugar. So they fight when you try to pet Coleen, when Coleen looks at Sugar, and when Coleen sniffs Sugar? Are there any other times they fight? You have to watch them carefully to find what could be triggering Sugar to fight with Coleen. You have to stop both dogs from staring at each other; if either of them starts staring interrupt them right away. It’s kinda hard to see what could be the problem over the internet, lol. When Coleen tries to sniff Sugar, have you tried to hold Sugar?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts