Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... even when they are playing hard together, 100 feet away, with all kinds of distractions....

... if you consider "LIVER TREAT" a recall command! :cool: :eek: :D

Boy, obviously I need to work on their recall-with-distractions because they won't come to me if I just call their names and say "come." But boy, I could whisper those two magic words and like magic, they immediately stop what they are doing and sprint to me at top speed! I'm sure my neighbors are wondering what a "liver tree" is and why the puppies bolt to me when they hear me yelling it.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Just don't get hurt feelings when, somewhere around Week #40, calling "LIVER TREAT" results in the canine equivalent of the middle finger.

·
Banned
221 Posts
I don't think they will make it to week 40. :) I'm thinking around 6 months or so until they will start venturing out and exploring the world out of sight of Mommie. :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I don't think they will make it to week 40. :) I'm thinking around 6 months or so until they will start venturing out and exploring the world out of sight of Mommie. :)
Most of mine got in touch with their inner juvenile delinquent at about 7 months (give or take).

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wuh-oh - I'm really gonna be in trouble then. I had to start using the "liver treat!" so-called command because "come" stopped working every time... they know PERFECTLY well what it means, but they prefer to think of it as a helpful suggestion. If I call "come," depending on their mood, they'll either bound over to me, gaze lazily at me then go back to whatever they were doing, or just ignore me altogether.

So great, you're saying the lure of freeze-dried liver will even start to lose its appeal? Grrreeeatt...... :D

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Maybe, once most dogs hit their puberty stage they start to act like they "forget" everything.

And it is of utmost important you DONT let them get away with it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe, once most dogs hit their puberty stage they start to act like they "forget" everything.

And it is of utmost important you DONT let them get away with it.
So on a serious note... what do you do when that happens (e.g. they stop coming when called)? Stop letting them play off leash? stepping up the positive reinforcement?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Just go back to the beginning, make sure they know when you give a command, they need to do it.

Now, it may not happen to you, in all of the dogs I have had, none have ever gone through a rebellious phase that everyone talks about. I don't know why, but I always trained them young and made sure not to be harsh, but use a lot of praise so they always listened. Maybe that helps.

If it does start to happen that they stop listening to "come" then it would be appropriate to not let them play off leash in an un fenced area. If it is in say something like a back yard, and you say.."COME!" and the dog looks at you like your stupid and what the heck are you saying...do your best to make the dog come to you...drop on the ground, flail your arms and act excited, make a weird noise, anything to get the dog to get there to you, and reward when they do. Don't walk/run to the dog, that will make it a game!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
So on a serious note... what do you do when that happens (e.g. they stop coming when called)? Stop letting them play off leash? stepping up the positive reinforcement?
Be a lot more cautious about letting them off-leash. If you want to let them roam, get a long leash. Other than that, just sit tight, keep training and ride it out.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Start training proactively. I was so worried about the teenage years, I stayed on top of her more and more. My dog seems to be more behaved as every month goes by , there was never a regression.

Try to train the come command when they are hungry so the food has much more value. They should come to you 100% indoors before moving to outdoors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts