Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Wondering if anyone else has had this happen! My 13 week Dalmador broke her top canine tooth last night playing tug with a plush toy, it was a baby canine, she didnt wine or anything, i didnt even notice until about 2 mins later when we were laying in bed and i saw blood on her toy...it bled for about five-ten mins, i can see some red in the tooth and am thinking that might be the nerve? She is acting completely normal, running around and playing and eating. I should also mention she already has some adult teeth poking through in the back, she started the teething process at about 9-10 weeks (i read large breed dogs tend to go through this faster)... There seem to be two main responses on the internet: Take her to the vet for extraction. and Wait it out and keep and eye on it for infection and that the adult tooth should push the rest of the baby tooth out.

I called our vet (she was just there a few days ago) and they didn't seem concerned...they just said to keep an eye on it...but then i read some people say she should go right in for an appointment.

I guess I am just looking to know what others think? I feel like her adult tooth will probably just push the rest of the baby tooth out?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again; if the pulp is visible, your pup is probably in some amount of discomfort. If the vet isn't concerned, that's good, but I'd still be worried about her being in constant pain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well unfortunately I couldn't respond because "KumasMom" closes threads. Anyways, I clearly have the same concerns which is why I am asking for opinions of others who have already gone through this with their puppy, have you gone through this before? I read in some other forums that a lot of people with lab puppies had a similar thing happen with their baby canines. I am just looking for advice on if there is anything I should avoid for her or look for when im checking out the tooth. She is going into the vet next week for shots anyways and like i said they were not concerned when i explained to them what her tooth looked like. It really does not seem like she is in any pain what so ever, and normally if she trips or does anything that startles her she whines and sooks. She hasn't whined, she has been scarfing down food and treats like normal, and playing and chewing on her toys. I am just looking for advice not judgement. Thanks

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
And my advice would be to ask your vet about pain management. A lot of dogs are VERY good at hiding discomfort, but that doesn't make it right for them to suffer through it just because we can't see it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Telling you that you should take your dog to a vet in order to evaluate the situation isn't judgement... and it IS advice. Perhaps not what you want to hear, but there is no way for anyone online to effectively diagnose what's going on with your pup and whether it's "not a big deal" or not. If you've already talked to the vet and they don't think it's a problem then... what more do you need? But if it were me, knowing how stoic dogs can be with pain management, it's better to be safe than sorry and avoid potential infection by having a vet physically look at it.

And sure, it can be annoying when people just looking for help/advice get their threads locked but the forum is very clear on those rules... if you haven't yet taken your dog to a vet to get <insert problem here> checked out, then your thread will be closed. If, however, you went to the vet and you're merely looking for advice or feedback about their diagnosis, that's another thing entirely.

**ETA: Ten bucks says this thread will be locked as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! That is something I didn't even think to ask about! I will call them back and just see if I can bump up her needle appointment to tomorrow and have them take a look at the same time. Maybe there are some gels or antibiotics that might help. Thanks Gingerkid.

This is my first puppy on my own as an adult without having my family around so I am second guessing every decision I make, She is a really rough puppy and I have already taken her to the vet a few times (one time i thought she hurt her leg- She didn't, one time i thought she had a skin allergy- she didnt) I just was worried I was over reacting, and it seemed like from google and the vet that i shouldn't even be worried. But i didn't even think about how she might be hiding her pain, I have been internet searching since last night and NO ONE mentioned anything about dogs hiding their pain or looking into pain management, so i will definitely be calling the vet back for an appointment.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found this thread from last year, same type of problem, quite different responses, wasn't closed either.

http://www.dogforums.com/dog-health-questions/401906-help-puppy-broke-his.html

That is the only reason I have been struggling so much and seeking out advice, it seems like it is right down the middle of people being like "oh its no big deal its just a baby tooth" and other people being like "get them into the vet"

Knowing about the potential of her hiding the pain though I do feel like its best to just bring her in so the vet can look at it in person rather than over the phone.

Thanks again for everything, sorry if i was mean, just looking for support

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
Knowing about the potential of her hiding the pain though I do feel like its best to just bring her in so the vet can look at it in person rather than over the phone.
And MUCH better than asking a bunch of strangers on the Internet for advice.

The reason your previous thread was closed, and this one is being closed, is well-meaning people who are not veterinarians (for the most part) and have never, ever seen your dog will try to be helpful and offer advice that may put your dog (and this forum, by the way) at risk. We have very strict rules, which you will see when you have time to read the rules, against asking for veterinary advice on the forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.