Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our lab/beagle mix pup is almost 12wks old and we noticed he has a big belly which many people said may be worms. We took him to the vet yesterday and they gave him a deworming tablet and a heart preventative deworming tablet. He is now pooping out long white worms which we suspect are tapeworms. He pooped out a few but now he seems to be constipated. Should we look into buying him a puppy laxative? Or, would a prescribed laxative be safer and work more effectively? Is he too young to have heart worms or should we be concerned about that too? How are heart worms extracted from the body?

Thank You.

luv_my_pup

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would ask your vet about what to give him for the constipation and when to start heartworm prevention medicine. I can't remember how old a puppy needs to be, but you can't give them that particular medication until a certain age. If the only symptom is the big belly and pooping out the worms, then I doubt he has heartworms. Ask your vet to test for it if you are concerned.

Most puppies have roundworms. Mine did and she pooped them out the same way. She alternated between being constipated and having diarrhea when she was given dewormer. Eventually the dewormer did its thing and she returned to normal on her own.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm glad you decided to take him to the vet after all.

No dog is too young to have heart worms. The worms leaving your pup sound like roundworms or tapeworms. I don't believe you actually see heart worms expelled from the body. If your pup is on proper deworming meds (a dewormer and heartworm medication) now you shouldn't have to worry about it.

I would suggest talking to vet about using laxatives and if they are necessary.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Our lab/beagle mix pup is almost 12wks old and we noticed he has a big belly which many people said may be worms. We took him to the vet yesterday and they gave him a deworming tablet and a heart preventative deworming tablet. He is now pooping out long white worms which we suspect are tapeworms. He pooped out a few but now he seems to be constipated. Should we look into buying him a puppy laxative? Or, would a prescribed laxative be safer and work more effectively? Is he too young to have heart worms or should we be concerned about that too? How are heart worms extracted from the body?

Thank You.

luv_my_pup
I don't know tons about heartworms as I don't live in an area that has them but this is my understanding of them. Heartworms are not like intestinal worms. Dogs are infected via mosquito bites and the larval worms enter the bloodstream. The risk of infection in puppies is small because the lifecycle is long enough that the you can kill the larval heartworms with your first dose of heartworm prevention (i.e. he may get larval worms but they don't do damage and the first dose of heartworm prevention is scheduled in time to kill them). Heartworm prevention kills the larval worms but does not work to treat established, adult worms (the one's in the heart). Heartworm prevention does not prevent a dog from getting larval worms, it simply kills them before they can mature- this is why if I were to travel to an infected area I wouldn't give heartworm preventative prior to going but would wait until after I returned. When a dog has heartworms the treatment is extremely difficult and long with the dog's activity kept to a minimum for several months. A heartworm test won't detect heartworms until somewhere around 6 or 7 months of age (or 6 or 7 months post infection) because it detects adult worms and this is how long it takes them to establish themselves in the heart. Really if you are in an affected area (pretty much all of the States) you need to talk to your vet about heartworm preventative but I believe he is too young to have them currently.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't know tons about heartworms as I don't live in an area that has them but this is my understanding of them. Heartworms are not like intestinal worms. Dogs are infected via mosquito bites and the larval worms enter the bloodstream. The risk of infection in puppies is small because the lifecycle is long enough that the you can kill the larval heartworms with your first dose of heartworm prevention. Heartworm prevention kills the larval worms but does not work to treat established, adult worms (the one's in the heart). When a dog has heartworms the treatment is extremely difficult and long with the dog's activity kept to a minimum for several months. A heartworm test won't detect heartworms until somewhere around 6 or 7 months of age (or 6 or 7 months post infection) because it detects adult worms and this is how long it takes them to establish themselves in the heart. Really if you are in an affected area (pretty much all of the States) you need to talk to your vet about heartworm preventative but I believe he is too young to have them currently.
This is correct. What I said was misleading, I should have said no dog is too young to become infected with heartworms.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, our pup had diarrhea a few days ago then it went back to normal and it was only after we gave him the deworming tablet that he started pooping out the worms. The vet said we can give him a heart preventative deworming tab every month for the rest of his life and that will also work as a regular dewormer as well. I can't wait for the worms to be gone. He threw up once yesterday and was laying down a lot. He is acting a bit better today so I hope these worms go away soon so I can have my puppy back.

Thanks!

luv_my_pup

Okay, sounds good. I hope we caught the worms on time. We bought him from his owners last week Friday and he was almost 11 wks old. Then, we noticed his diarrhea and lack of eating and scheduled his vet appt. So, I just hope we got them on time and he won't have any long term detrimental issues to his body. I am just concerned for him.

Thanks!

luv_my_pup

Wow. This is really great information to hear! It makes a lot of sense the way you explained it so this eases my apprehension and fear a lot about him having heartworms. We gave him his first dose of heartworm prevention today so he should hopefully be on his way to a great recovery soon! And, we will make sure he has his monthly dewormings to help him grow healthy and strong! This info really helped a lot.

Thanks!

luv_my_pup

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I don't think any puppies old enough to go to a new home are too young for heartworm prevention. My vet gave my puppy a Heartgard at her first checkup when she was 7 weeks old. But, yeah, if you start it early enough you shouldn't have to worry about doing a heartworm test first, like you would with an adult dog.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't think any puppies old enough to go to a new home are too young for heartworm prevention. My vet gave my puppy a Heartgard at her first checkup when she was 7 weeks old. But, yeah, if you start it early enough you shouldn't have to worry about doing a heartworm test first, like you would with an adult dog.
Interesting. My vet had me wait to give my pup Heartguard until 2 weeks after her second booster (which put her around 13 weeks old). Just read the label and you're right, it's recommended for puppies 6 weeks or older. Now I'm wondering why my vet made me wait.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts