Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting with my dog almost since I got her to eat. She is nothing but skin and bones. The vet has de-wormed her and said she will eat when she is hungry but she is never hungry it seams. I have tried dry food, caned food, mixed together, human food, even cat food. I have tried free feeding, feeding her 3 times a day, feeding once a day. she never finishes her food. 3-4 bits and then she walks away. even when she has not eaten all day.

She has lots of energy to play are run and acts like a normal dog. I like to walk her but fear people are going to think I am starving her. She is a Siberian husky and for her age and height she should be 45-50 LB but she is 25-30LB if even. What can I do to get her to put on weight?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like my last puppy. Have you tried dribbling some bacon grease over the food? Egg? Liver? Tripe?

He would NOT eat his puppy food. Would eat the 'adult' food better then his puppy stuff. Could be she's just turning her nose up at the brand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 10month old lab sometimes (increasingly very rarely) undergoes these phases. Usually what I do is a)nothing, I just wait for him to come around after a day or so. but as you said your dog is very thin I wouldn't recommend this. b)I give him 'lightly' boiled or even raw meat, mostly chicken, sometimes mixed with rice.

There are tons of other different diets you can try, but if you dog does not eat the meat diet then I would say something is wrong (at least to my knowledge) as all dogs like cooked meat, if not raw meat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts