Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am a concerned FRIEND of a dog owner. He has a chocolate lab, and a golden retreiver (both about 60lbs). Sometimes they chew on the couch, and get into general trouble. My friend, the dog owner, muzzles them for hours at a time (everyday). Including 100% of the time hes not home (he works a 9-5). Also when he wants some quiet time. They hate it. They get noticablly depressed when you even motion towards the muzzle. I am concerned with the well being of the dogs. What is the effect of a muzzle on a dogs health/mental health? Is there harm in this? I have heard its similar to tourture. I'v tried to tell him this but he won't listen.

.. ps the muzzle is a cloth type, with straps that go around the back of the head. There is maybe 1 inch of slack, so the dog can stick out its tounge.

ADVISE!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i have used a soft muzzle on my young one for maybe all of about 2 min time lengths to get him past the meeting of new "just dog" dogs (he's a "breedist" that didn't think anything non Border Collie should be w/in 100 yds of him but doing fantastic now).....i would put the muzzle on only to prevent any possible injuries and only when i knew the other dog was a passive dog (he learned to play w/ many that way)....i think he's had it on all of about 5 times since 7 mo and i no longer need to use it (i will show it to him, however, if i see him being too snotty)

but to use it to control chewing behaviors and unsupervised is, IMO, cruelty....i would say something along the lines of if it's not teaching them to not chew they aren't accomplishing anything and maybe they need to start training (and maybe a bit more exercise is in order...they sound quite bored)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how dogs are supposed to act while muzzled. These dogs instantly put their tails down, and go sit in the corner or something. They paw at their face. It just breaks my heart. Its as if the life gets sucked right out of them. They are also big dogs in a small house. I wish there was some guidelines for using muzzles. Perhaps some litrature I can show them.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
He should be crating his dogs.

Check the laws in your area. In many places, it's illegal to muzzle an unattended dog. And if your friend doesn't stop immediately, call the humane society and report him. A dog can easily die from being in a muzzle all day. This is inhumane and cruelty!

The Danger of Muzzles

If the dog can only stick out his tongue, his life is in danger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is alarming. They won't listen! They think its no big deal!

Can anyone provide a link as to information on muzzling unattended dogs, being illegal?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Call the humane society and ask. They're different in different states.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
muzzling a dog for extended periods of time like that is sickning and cruel. His dogs should be in CRATES!! If I were their "Friend" I would be screeming at them right now. Using a muzzle for that reason is compleatly unacceptable and it IS ANIMAL CRULTY!!
Tell your friend to buy some crates, or buy some crates for him if you even care one lick about these dogs.

A dog could easily die from being muzzled that long.

Dogs throw up sometimes(for no apparent reason). What if they threw up with a muzzle on, they would drown in their own bile!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also used the puking arguement with him.

The problem is, my friend beleives that there is no problem with muzzles, and the dogs are just "overplaying it". Anytime I bring the subject up, he gets mad and tells me to mind my own business. Anyone else got anymore anti-muzzle literature (ill show him)?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

The problem is, my friend beleives that there is no problem with muzzles, and the dogs are just "overplaying it". Anytime I bring the subject up, he gets mad and tells me to mind my own business. Anyone else got anymore anti-muzzle literature (ill show him)?
so, "mind your own business" (which is helping these dogs), extract yourself from the friendship and report the owner to the AC's....if/when they ask why you don't come around you tell them you won't stand by and see a dog be abused....simple enuff (sorta)

·
Registered
861 Posts

dogs don't really have the capacity to be drama queens. i am sorry you are in such a difficult position, but if i were you, I would do anything in my power to help these dogs, even if it requires reporting the friend to the humane society.

if your friend is so unwilling to listen, he should not have these dogs. they do not deserve this kind of treatment.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Personaly I'd be reporting this "friend" to the AC as quick as possible. He obviously doesn't see the problem with it or care about the well being of his pets, not exactly the type of person I'd be wanting to call a friend anyways. Aside from the mental trauma thats quite apparent; muzzles should NEVER BE USED UNATTENDED. If the dogs have free roam of the house as well the muzzle could easily get caught up on something, including the dog itself, and cause physical harm or even strangle the pet. In addition if the muzzles only allow them to stick thier tounge out then there's no way they can drink water properly, and I do belive it's illegal in every state to restrict access to water without a medical reason. You can very easily make an annonymous call to your local AC and let them know their at dogs at the residence being kept unsuperised with muzzles on all day.

If you're really against calling the ACO's on him, then you can always try to convince him to crate the dogs instead. It'll save him preacious furniture from being chewed and spare his dogs the tourture of wearing muzzles all day.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
We regularly use basket muzzles with our dogs. Not all of them love the muzzle, but they tolerate them just fine. It's pretty standard to use basket muzzles with greyhounds b/c of their thin skin - a little tiff can end up with HUGE wounds. Not something an owner wants to come home to. However, the dogs can eat, drink, pant and even pick up soft toys and carry them around. I liken it to a bike helmet for humans - it's just a safety precaution.

It is very dangerous to leave a soft sided, restrictive muzzle on a dog for an extended period of time - and esp if they are unattended.

If your friend insists his dogs need to be muzzled (though a crate would be much safer than what he's doing now), a greyhound basket muzzle would work for his breeds - similarly sized and shaped heads. We get ours from Birdwell Enterprises http://www.birdwellenterprises.com/index_files/Page580.htm ...the difference in the two sizes is the size of the basket portion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts