Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coco is a bit over 10 months now and she LOVES playing with other dogs. But she's still so young and if I get another dog (for her and for me) I want there to be a nice age difference (mostly for my sanity). I really need to stay off PetFinder... I nearly filled out an application last week.

For those with multi-dog households, when did you start adding to your brood? How old was/were your other dog(s)?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I started off with 2 puppies for my first time. they were brother and sister. Currently there almost 2 years old. I got Rex at 6 weeks (they wouldnt allow him to stay any longer, which was sad) hes not 4months tho I dont think ill ever get another dog anytime soon. three is enough for me. <3

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
My two are nearly 8 and nearly 3 so a good five year difference between them. I plan on adding the third and final dog in 1-2 years when Mia is almost 5 and Summer is almost 10. I think that is nice and spread out. I know you can't forsee the future and any of my dogs could get sick, but I don't want to have 3 senior dogs at the same time.

Growing up we had dogs that were the same age. We got the shelties all within 1 1/2 years of each other. There was also a long period of time when we got a papillon a year. But I enjoy them being more spread out now that I'm on my own. I will say about every 2 years I get a bad case of puppy fever!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was given Kaida as a gift from an ex boyfriend:doh: when she was about 3-4 months old. Saint was a little over a year and a half old. I don't like how close they are in age because I didn't really want two dogs that are going to be old together. I like a 3-5year age difference in dogs. I feel like the pups learn a lot about what is to be expected behavior wise from the older dogs. Saint was still very much a puppy when I was given Kaida and it was like having three toddlers if you include my son. I was ready to drown them all in the bath tub.lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, those are the two things that concern me - having all older dogs at the same time; and having two young, rambunctious dogs.

I know I should wait until Coco is at least 2, if not 3. Hopefully she won't be possessive of me when I do get a second dog (that's another concern I have, since it's just me and Coco right now).

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
With smaller somewhat laid back dogs I added a 6 month old to my home when I had a seven month old and did not look back. Loved all that was about that.

With larger more exuberant dogs that were slower to mature I never added a younger dog until the rest were three or older. I find the work of a larger breed (or mutt) youth or puppy to be at least 10 times that of a smaller, but it could be that my smaller dogs are generally calmer in nature, and my larger dogs were all rambunctious rehomes or rescues.

I thnk that assessing the current puppy and their needs and demands is an important part of these decisions.

SOB

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I think it's an individual personality thing. Mia was the hardest puppyhood of any dog we've ever had- our collie, lab, and GSD included. She's grown into herself well but her first two years were a lot of work and quite a measure od destruction, lol. Both mine are easy now for the most part (Mia has her moments but I know what to expect from her). I could add a pup pretty easily but it's more of the fact that I only want 3 dogs and I know if I get a dog now then I won't get one for a long time. Summer is going to live forever ;)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If you really can't fight off the urge for a second dog but like the idea of a decent age gap you could always adopt a 3-5 year old. Still young enough to have lots of life left but out of the puppy stage.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I adopted Zoe December 2004 and by January I wanted another dog. So we went to go see Bear and we brought him home in Feb 2005. My sister didn't add a third dog to the household until about four years later though.
I agree about adopting a 3-5 year old if you don't want to add the responsibility of another puppy to your home, but just be sure to introduce them properly. There is nothing worse than owning pets that don't get along.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My first (JRT x) was only about 6 months old when I got my golden pup. It worked well for us--but I had a lot of time and land at the time (10 acre horse farm), as well as a fenced in yard for the dogs and crate training. In fact, the golden pup was /is so good, he helped potty train the holy terror! lol. :)

They are now 10 (in Valentines day) and 9 (will be 10 Aug 23) and then we have a lab that will be 6 in May. (Lab was hubby's the other two mine--lab was under a year when we got together).

I am having some serious puppy dt's...but I must refrain because we are maxed out with the 3 and a 2 year old son--and now live in the city! :)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Jack came when Smalls was about a year and a half old. Jonas came a short four months later. Magpie came a year and a half later followed by Shammy about another year and a half later. Smalls is 5 now, Jonas is 6, Jack is somewhere in the 6-8 range (at least, I'd like to say he is there and keep him there), Magpie I would gather is around 4-5, and Shambles is coming up on 15 months old. There will be no new additions during their life times and I'm not a huge fan of how close they are in age except Shammy. I don't mind, but next time around I may feel more inclined to have at least two to three years in ages but with adult rescues like Magpie and Jack I can never really be exactly sure of their ages just how long I've had them.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Zoey was about 8-9 months old when we got Ziva, who was 3 months at the time. It felt right to us then, and it still does. Zoey is a really, really hyper/energetic dog though, and she was bored all the time when my kids went to school. She loves having a buddy to play with all day when the kids are gone.

Some dogs are happy being an only: but I dont think zoey was. I dont think there are any hard and fast rules. So long as it fits your family.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I waited until both the boys Leeo and Blu Boy were 4 years old ... even then the last two pups ... Benny and Abbylynn were still a huge adjustment and a handful. Once you are used to the calm well trained adult dogs you think it will be a piece of cake. But you forget that the adult dogs will have an adjustment period because of the introduction to the new pups ... and that can be just as trying. The adult dogs are not used to sharing their territory with this little whining and biting thing taking up their territory. To be honest ... when I first got Benny I really thought I made a huge mistake ... it was not the easy bed of roses I had anticipated ... and you are looking at a person who has had dogs of all ages for an eternity! My word of advice would be to think it through very carefully before making a commitment. It may not be as easy as it seems. :)

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Resistance is futile! Coco will be assimilated into the collective!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Resistance is futile! Coco will be assimilated into the collective!
ROFL. Now you've got me imagining thousands of Cocos all acting like the original.

Oh my... I love her to pieces, but she can be a handful sometimes.

I think Coco is okay alone, for now, but she goes to daycare at least twice a week and loves loves loves it. She primarily sleeps when she's home alone, but she doesn't sleep the entire day. When she's awake, she'll go out in her ex-pen in the backyard and start digging in between the pieces of sod where dirt is exposed. It's her one "home alone" bad habit. It's those kinds of things that make me think she would love a companion.

I think I'm going to wait, however, until she is at least 2. I want her to be a bit older and I know I'll be more stable financially by that time.

It's just so hard to resist those cute faces. *Sigh*

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got Deuce my male chi when he was 8 weeks old - once he was 6 months old we added an 8 week old kitten and they were BFF's. I adopted Honey our chi mix when Deuce was 2 years old but her estimated birthday is actually a week before his :) I think they get along great since they are the same age and have the same energy level - they are both huge couch potatoes so their favorite activity is snuggling lol. They are both about 5 now and see puppies from time to time - while they like them for an hour or so - after that they get annoyed and want nothing to do with a hyper puppy.
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with two dogs growing up together if you can train them equally well.

I lost my two senior dogs this September and October. The September dog, Sammy, had a tumor and we had to let him go at 11.5 years old. Bailey was his wife and she passed away in her sleep one month to the day later at 12.5 years.

My third dog was a rescue. I got him at 1.5 years and it really took my family a year to know Corky well; he had some health and training issues as some rescues do. When Bailey and Sam left, though, I knew that we were ready for another dog right away. Enter Sasha. I would not have added another puppy to my home if Corky wasn't fully trained and healthy enough to be unstressed by a new addition.

Both situations went well for me, 1 year apart and 3 years apart. Trust yourself. You are the leader, after all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We had Clyde for 6 months before we added Wally. Clyde was about 2-3 years and Wally was about 1 year (both rescues).

Definitely take your dog with you to the shelter. Most people don't realize they can, but the shelters were beyond thrilled we brought Clyde with us. They didn't even call our references because they said Clyde was enough of a reference! Even though he loves other dogs, we met about 12 other dogs before we found Wally. We were able to instantly tell which ones would be too possessive over us, if they just didn't get along, if their energy levels were too different, etc. We knew instantly Wally was the perfect match because they greeted each other nicely, played a little and followed each other around in a room at the shelter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only shelter here in town isn't run very well at the current moment, and I've heard of cases of Parvo coming from that shelter. At the moment, I would be very hesitant to bring Coco there to visit.

However, the city is apparently taking over the shelter in June because they feel it's not being run the way it should be (and they're right). Instead of the $200 - 300 thousand per year that goes into it currently, the city would invest $1 million per year. Maybe at that point I'll trust the local shelter (after a visit). If I were to adopt right now, I would go to San Antonio to adopt.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I got Buster the week of Christmas when he was almost 8 weeks old. Lola was almost 7 months old at that time. So far it has gone pretty good. They get along well and play together good. Lola does have issues with her toys. She doesn't think much of sharing! I guess she got used to all the toys and chewies being just hers and she doesn't want Buster to have anything. I am hopeful that this will eventually get better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts