Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the COI issue confusing. You can't get to zero. You don't want 0.2. But what is acceptable?

There's a saying among geographers that propinquity (geographical closeness) is 9/10ths of causation. I would guess that this holds for animal breeding in the wild. Maybe not 9/10 but certainly a good fraction. That is, when pups leave the den and the home range, they will tend to settle in the area surrounding their parents' home range. Seems to me very likely that, over time, their grand pups will end out mating with the relatives in the original home range, and a lot of mating between second or third cousins. Result: COI's that approach double digits.

That's speculation. Has anyone ever seen any scientific work on COI's in the wild?

p.s. I do recognize that inbreeding WITH natural selection is different from inbreeding without natural selection.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Might want to read Coppinger, they have a new book out, What is a Dog? They write about stuff like that, might be some citations for the actual studies.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well, it is mentioned by the Canine institute of biology that at 5% you start to see the negatives of the inbreeding, and above 10% is bad territory, the threshold for the "extinction vortex"

http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/blog/coi-faqs-understanding-the-coefficient-of-inbreeding

Also, its mentioned that wild wolves often do inbreed, however, they also often outcross as well, which helps maintain. Outbreeding depression is also something that exists (though is rarely a problem), and wild animals do often have some form of balance between inbreeding and outcrossing, while dogs on the other hand cannot outcross in a closed pedigree easily (though a few cases have been done, and programs have been planned for certain breeds)

I don't know of any studies using COIs, I am sorry, but I do know there have been quite a few outcrossing programs and experiments in the past that have been documented. .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts