Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to play guitar, and my husband has always had a gift for it as well as any instrument he touches. Music is his passion. We've been putting together a studio this year and getting some awesome equipment and instruments.

Gibson Les Paul. Her name is Autumn.

Mesa/Boogie amp
Boogie Mark V

Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Mics. Blue Baby Bottle (two of them).

h4n handy recorder

Oxygen 88

Ibanez Soundgear SR700 (got her today, no name yet lol)

and sooo much other stuff including software (pro tools), 3 mic stands, good cables, etc etc etc etc.

We have sound stuff in the room, he built microfiber panels. Got a bass trap. Also other foam stuff.. he does all that so I'm not sure what it's all technically called lol.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Very cool! I LOVE the studio environment. My best friend is an engineer/producer (engineered/mixed/mastered the latest 'Journey' record, Grammy nominated etc) and my ex is an engineer as well as Head of the Audio department at a college in Toronto.

I have HUGE respect for the few really good engineers out there.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
This is what I've got... an Epiphone AJ-200 acoustic. Nothin' fancy, but sounds good and it's all I need for learning on.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an acoustic that I don't even know what model it is. Made by Olympia? It was the "mom please buy me a guitar!" first guitar that cost like $250. I actually love the sound of it though.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'll take some pictures of what we have that's presentable. The BF is mostly the musician part though he's self deprecating about his skills. I'm more of a obsessive appreciator.

Here's to hoping I can learn the cello though. I got it from a small rental place/producer that is local. It's kinda "rent to own" so eventually I'll gain credit to owning it or purchasing a nicer model.

So music. Currently we are at about 3,000 CDs. 10,000 vinyls but most aren't in the house. We're still being lazy about moving them from my SO's mom's house.

A lot of our guitars are not on display and I have to dig to get a lot of our instruments out of storage. We hid it there for a while since we kinda took in a homeless former coworker and as much as she's my "work friend" we don't really "know" her so all our expensive stuff was hidden into a closet cubby.

We've been lazy about assembling the music room (which also stores all my craft and art crap and photography shieett) so in the cubby they have stayed. We have about 8 other guitars not shown, a trumpet, violin, a flute, various amps and boxes of pedals, microphones, etc. Probably the piece de resistance is a custom Les Paul I'm not allowed to touch. :nono:

I also tore up our DJ equipment to a live station and a production one. It's dark and I can't really take pictures of some things but the live has 2 CD decks, 2 turn tables, various pads and triggers. Production happens on the computer which the BF insisted he needs two 27inch screens for :doh:. He uses mostly Abelton for what he's currently doing and a APC 40.

Our newest acquisition that I hope to figure out how to use is our Fender Rhodes '73. It was a touring warrior so it does need some TLC. I don't know how we're going to carry this from our living room to upstairs. It's crazy heavy.

Um, yeah. We're f*****g nuts and I f*****g love it.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Here's to hoping I can learn the cello though. I got it from a small rental place/producer that is local. It's kinda "rent to own" so eventually I'll gain credit to owning it or purchasing a nicer model.
Oh! Oh! I'm a professional cellist :)

My cello is a 1924 French cello made my Charles Bailly. It definitely doesn't sound French, which is awesome to me - it has a more balanced sound. It probably has a bit to do with my string/bridge set-up, too. I love the thing. Not telling anyone how much it's worth LOL. I also have a bow that was custom made for me by a local archetier. Again, not telling how much it's worth, hahaha. I'm hoping to start a professional trio with a local clarinetist and flutist. We want to do a few recordings and hopefully get some gigs and public recitals going.

Here's a picture of me playing my Masters recital a few years ago. Not the best picture, as I was moving (obviously :p), but it sort of shows off the cello a bit:

You should take some lessons. You will love it! If I were closer to you, I would teach you LOL. I really enjoy teaching older students (as in, out of high school), as usually they "want" to learn, versus some kids (luckily not all kids!) who are only doing it because their parents are making them.

I tried learning guitar, and sucked, so I stopped. But I do have a Fender Strat and a Yamaha acoustic guitar that I used while I was teaching a music summer program. I sort of know piano, have taught classical voice, and can teach/sort of play violin and viola (I just have student models of a violin and viola). I also have another cello that I used from 8th grade through Junior year of undergrad.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Finkie_Mom

That's awesome! I get so jealous of ya'll that can play. One of my friends is a professional rock violinist.

I'm familiar with Charles Bailly. I did see a violin from him being played at a recording studio and it's fine instruments and I know are pricey. At your level though, you should have the best.

This has been something that I've been wanting to attempt for a while. Not sure how proficient I can get, but I have always been drawn to cellos for as long as I can remember. I love the sound of them and I used to sit and listen to Jacqueline Du Pre all the time wishing I can play a tune.

After my grandpa died my SO drove me to this shop our violinist friend has his bows done and decided I should try this out. I like that they didn't give me a very base student cello but more of a lower end cello and he strung mine with pro strings. Nothing wrong with a student cello, but I am easily more encouraged that this one has more of a sound quality, more resonance, a deeper bass.

I have some recommendations for a teacher, but haven't found one with schedule openings. I know I should so that I can learn how to be "proper" and not pick up bad habits. I am doing little exercises though to get a feel of how to use my bow properly to get a clean sound. I did play violin as a child, but find none of that has transfered over specially years of being out of practice!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Y'all are making me feel like a terrible musician xD

While I play a couple of instruments (with piano being my primary love after 21 years of playing), my greatest love is with composition and arranging. Unfortunately, I have no place (and no money) to set up a studio environment, presently :(

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, beautiful cello Finkie!! And impressive collection of music, Montsors.

I started playing piano when I was 5 or 6 years old. My mom majored in music so she taught me. I played for 4 years. Picked up oboe in 3rd grade. Switched to alto sax in 7th grade and by that point I wasn't playing piano hardly at all. Played sax through high school and into college for marching band. I also picked up guitar at 14. I haven't touched piano in so long that I can't read bass clef easily now. All I play is guitar. The sax has been untouched for almost 4 years.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Y'all are making me feel like a terrible musician xD

While I play a couple of instruments (with piano being my primary love after 21 years of playing), my greatest love is with composition and arranging. Unfortunately, I have no place (and no money) to set up a studio environment, presently :(
I'VE GOT IT. Oaks, PA - You bring a keyboard, I bring my cello. WE WILL JAM FOR THE DOGGIES :p

·
Banned
71 Posts
So music. Currently we are at about 3,000 CDs. 10,000 vinyls but most aren't in the house. We're still being lazy about moving them from my SO's mom's house.
AWESOME! I love people that have music collections like that! ALL of my music is digital and 100% stolen, I'm not gonna lie. I support artists by buying t-shirts, stickers and going to shows. I do want to start a vinyl collection though.

·
Registered
731 Posts
@subie love- some artist encourage it now so I don't feel that bad about it.

Truthfully, we do have a nice collection, but now the CDs aren't growing much. These are mostly some classics, best sellers and rarities worth keeping and that's about it that we will buy now. The vinyls were all from a local record shop closing- the BF basically cut them a deal to take all of what they have. We're total collectors. We collect a bunch of crap- like KidRobot toys.

We've been doing digital and it's easier anyways with electronic genres for the BFs DJ sets. There's a ton of sites we download from for free- music blogs and such so it's not stealing all of it. Some things though we do steal, but we have also gone back and bought stuff like you or smaller artists we buy their music if we really believe in them (we pay for Bassnectars stuff, we go back and buy or ask to purchase stems of songs for DJing, etc). Or we make a deal with friends- they can burn anything they want from our place, but this means they have to bring us stuff to burn too. Currently we have 450GB of downloaded music.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Stealing music hurts my soul.

That is all I will say on that subject.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Finkie, I don't own a keyboard. Just my wonderful upright piano that I have played on since I was 5 years old <3

It's probably a POS to most people, but it has all 88 keys, and just needs to be tuned (and a new F2 string). The sentimental value is priceless to me.

·
Registered
731 Posts
:-/ I know some people feel like that about the subject. Since you brought it up though, it's kinda like opening up a can of worms since it was just like "its wrong, that's all" and well, it just felt a bit accusatory. I'm just saying, if you're gonna bring it up, care to have a discussion about music? I'm not looking for a fight. I'm genuinely interested in a discussion about a very hot topic in music and would love to hear what other people have to say in the subject. I would love to hear your views as someone not for it as I'm someone in the middle.

Nearly our entire salaries (up until we bought our house) went to acquiring music and out of the percentage we have stolen through either a download or taking a friends CD and burning it (to listen to an artist and perhaps decide if it is worth purchase) we have gone back and bought stuff- digital downloads of new CDs, single tracks, stems, concerts, shirts or even donated through paypal to small labeled people whose EPs and demos fell into our sphere. What I don't like at all I don't keep. Most of what we acquire now is smaller artist and that we won't let them not go without support. A few smaller artist we admitted to someone giving me their CD for free then seeing how good they are we came back to support them and they encouraged it to get their name out there. Happened recently- a friend gave us a CD to listen to and it was amazing. My next paycheck I'm buying some other stuff from the artist as she's a great up and comer. Looking for her stuff online was rather hard to find so there wasn't really a way for me to hear it other than him giving it. As for bigger artist (like Kanye West) does the label and him really need more money?

I'm sure it's wasted breath to defend myself and I'm probably a tad hormonal right now, but I take music seriously and what little I have I give to music, my dogs and my home. I don't have anything left for myself. I contribute a lot for the smalls I take. It doesn't make it "right", but I don't think I'm doing something completely ill either.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't feel bad about it at all. You can hear any song you want for free on youtube anyway. (By the way, I'm totally ok with taking this offtopic into discussing how people feel about stealing music :) )

·
Banned
71 Posts
I never purchase music because every time I'm about to, I look at the $15 I'm about to spend and then think "I can go to sites A, B or C and get it for free." and decide against it. Yes, I know I'm ripping the artist off but that's why I go to lots of shows and always buy T-shirts and posters. Also, I spread music to others like a mofo. I feel like I'm a street-teamer for every band that I like which gets them exposure. Even if that person doesn't buy their music, they will do the same as me.

When it comes to bigger people, I'm DEFINITELY not buying their music. I'm sorry but I need my $20 far more than Sir Paul McCartney or who ever.

I really dig artists that put music out for free. You can go to prettylightsmusic.com and download everything he has put out as well as everyone on his label completely for free. He knows that once you hear it, you'll dig it and go to his shows and that's where the real treat is anyway. That's why he can headline huge festivals, refer to the first post in "The music thread".

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
My perspective is that of a person who works in the industry and has many many friends in the industry, none of whom are rich by any means.. two of the artists I know are doing reasonably well for themselves, but that's two people, out of the 50+ I personally know well.. and they've been working at it for 15 years or more.

Buying the music doesn't JUST affect the artist either.. that has an impact on the entire creative team - musicians, producers, engineers, assistants, studio owners, song writers etc etc.

I'm the kind of person who, if I want to share music with someone, I'll go buy a copy of the album for them. I've personally purchased 12 copies of a single CD to give away to people who had a slight interest in the artist, but were not likely to ever buy the album for themselves. And I'm sure as heck not made of money, but it is something that is extremely important to me. There's just no way I could steal a pile of music and then go assist on a session and look those people in the eye.

And yes, shows and merch are generally where the most money is made, but even those prices are coming WAY down for a lot of artists as less people (overall) are attending, promoters are making less money, and down the line it goes. It's not free to make or perform music, so I don't understand why it should be free to consume.

I have no misconceptions that there aren't artists out there making big bucks, but I truly believe they are in the minority. I work in the Canadian country music industry and I guarantee you, nobody is getting rich.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I feel you. I suppose I don't date non musical people at all so I've spent a lot of time on the production end of things. For some people, I do know that what you say applies to be true.

The other thing I've always wondered about is where do we end the line of what is "stealing"? Sibe said, "You can hear any song you want for free on youtube anyway" and some is put up by the artist/label but many are uploads from users....is that stealing? I mean it's giving it up for many to hear just the difference is that downloading a physical file gives you a way to bring it to your car, listen in the shower, while you jog, etc. I mean is sharing a video off of youtube on the Music Thread the same thing as giving my friend a burned CD of the same song to listen to it and get to see if they like the artist? Free listen that may/may not get them to purchase from the person further music, merch or events.

A majority of what I currently listen to I got for free, but I didn't steal it the artists give it to us downright. We actually heard a song in a DJ mix by these guys called Villains and emailed them and asked where can be purchase that single and others in their mix that isn't available on beatport or if they can give it to my BF for a DJ set, he would like to donate some money through paypal. They emailed us back and gave all we wanted and more for free as they wanted us to spread it. A year later they were signed to DimMak and are getting residencies and doing great. They are spreading and making money through marketing hard their events and giving out everything else for free. Funny is these fools don't care to be "rich", it's what they love and if they can pay the bills and making a living on this then hell yes. I think for a new breed of people this brand of making themselves viral with free downloads is working fantastically. Specially with people like me. I do think my sphere of influence in terms of music is pretty decent.

I don't know if this is perhaps the future of the industry and that is maybe why things aren't looking as good for those who aren't in the digital marketing? It may be destroying the current business model for those in a team of production vs independent artist who usually DIY it and perhaps use minimal studio time/post production/mastering if that. This type of structure does up the chances of the little artist to get known, but can screw up people like you so I can understand why these things can be a bad thing. I do believe this is something that is the wave of change though...

Pretty Lights is stoked about disrupting the music industry.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I love Derek's music but I feel that I have to post this lol

Bassnectar's interview

Pretty Lights interview

Exactly why I love Bassnectar, he is so smart and compassionate and just a well rounded dude. I feel like there is no body like him in the music industry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts