Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am new here, well actually I have been reading this forum for over a month and now have decided to actually throw in a question of my own.

Well lately we have had these mushrooms popping up all over the place, we went through quite a long spell without rain and then suddenly days of rain and dampness, so I'm assuming this is contributing to the mushroom invasion. But my puppy (Riley) seems to think that everything in the grass is there for him to put into his mouth. I'm sure many experience this. I know you will most likely say, "don't give him a chance to get anything into his mouth" as this sound most logical, but almost unrealistic. He is a puppy and will explore, so there I am like a crazy person on my hands and knees looking for these fungi and trying to pluck them up before he does.....

Anyone have this problem, or advice???

Here is a pic.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,804 Posts
I do know that some mushrooms are very, very toxic to dogs. On an e-mailing list I am on a lady lost her litter of pups because they found some mushrooms. Some of them didn't even eat them, they just mouthed them. I would keep pulling them up, and maybe try to identify them to see if they are toxic or not. In the mean time, keep your puppy on a leash outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Yes! Here in NJ too. Lucy keeps finding mushrooms and eating them. Several different types. Even at the dog park. :( We had to leave the park because I couldn't catch her fast enough.

At home, she is always on leash, however, even then sometimes she gets them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
If he eats some and starts acting like this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8c4_1218681065

Quickly retrieve all those mushrooms and save them for you and your friends.
Lmao.
You have made my whole day

To O.P:I'd keep an eye on those fungi, you never know which ones are toxic.
Some grow in my backyard, my sister says they are not toxic, i believe her since she is nutriologist, but we better be safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Lmao.
You have made my whole day

To O.P:I'd keep an eye on those fungi, you never know which ones are toxic.
Some grow in my backyard, my sister says they are not toxic, i believe her since she is nutriologist, but we better be safe!
Ya...I'd rather not find out the hard way.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
894 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
749 Posts
We have them popping up here in central NJ also. I don't bother pulling them out as where they are it is a county park across the street. I just completely avoid them when I am walking Lola.

Now if someone is really bored and has nothing to do, just watch some mushrooms grow. They grow a lot faster than grass.

And no I have not done either of the two but I will say that the mushrooms we have around here grow to twice there size by the afternoon as to what size they were in the morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
We have them everywhere here in IL too. I have never seen them as big as this year! They are HUGE!!! We have had so much rain lately I'm sure thats why. We had 5 days straight this last week. Lots of flooding. When it was over they were popping up everywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
If he eats some and starts acting like this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8c4_1218681065

Quickly retrieve all those mushrooms and save them for you and your friends.
HeHe! That about made me choke on my tea! With all the stress we have had resently maybe I need some of them! J/K

We have them here in GA too and w/ all of my dogs I am having to keep a close eye out. I am just trying to knock 'em down as soon as I see them. I have no idea how to tell if they are good or bad mushrooms but my crazy dogs will eat ANYTHING!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,942 Posts
If you have a mushroom issue (with your dog.. I am not going into the drug creazed thing), maybe, just MAYBE you ought to go to the Library or to the Book Store and see if you can get an ID book. The number of 'rooms that are deadly, like the "Death Angel" (a piece the size of a match head can kill you) are not REAL common.

This does not mean I support going out and collecting and eating fungi (tho I know people who do, and not for Psycho effects). It just means knowing what the deadly ones look like might be good and a lot easier than just willy nilly trying to control and remove them ALL.

Meanwhile, this is a good opportunity to teach the "leave it" command.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
There are at least four recent threads on this board dealing with mushrooms.. (Dont you just LOVE the search function?) Seems that they are popping up everywhere, including my yard where my dog lives eight hours a day.. Ekk!

The most usefull thread seems to be this one:
http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/34363-so-bo-ate-poinsonous.html
There is a link there to a site where you can learn to ID the bad ones, but they still all look alike to me.

Could all these mushrooms suddenly arriving fortell some other invasion, maybe from outerspace? ; )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
We have had a few shrooms here...I just pull them up in the mornings when I pick up the poop and throw them out with the poop....I'm not talking tons though, just two or three at a time. I don't think my dogs have had a chance to even notice them yet.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top