Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is driving us all crazy! He wants to go outside and play desperately! But every time we let him out, he immediately goes searching for and trying to eat mushrooms! It has been cool and damp lately and the yard is full of them! There is no way to pull them all up, too many of them!
I am going to watch him like a hawk all day in case he found one before we realized it!:redface:
I am also going to worry every time he goes out to potty that he may find one. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I would keep him on leash when he is outside so you can have more control over where he goes and stop him from eating the mushrooms. You can also build a barrier or fence in a section of the yard you know is mushroom free. I don't know what kind of mushrooms you have, but I would be very worried about them being poisonous. While you're blocking him from the mushrooms, train him the "Leave it" command so you can tell him to leave the mushrooms alone. There are lots of training videos on youtube that you can use as a tutorial. Does he have enough toys and things to play with and chew on? Do you take him on enough walks/outside exploration, play time, and training? He might be bored and that is why he is going for the mushrooms. Try to redirect the behavior by playing a "search and rescue" game with toys and treats, start inside the house first. What kind of dog is he?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
All mushrooms scare me (not only because of the '80's! lol).
Maybe you can snap some cell phone pics of the mushrooms and find an online website or forum who can let you know exactly what you're dealing with? They may be harmless, or they may be dangerous to the point where you wouldn't want to even brush up against them.

Like Wiket said, would be a good opportunity to train "leave it", too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
Wild mushrooms are toxic to dogs. I just lost my 3 year old, perfectly healthy papillon to mushrooms. Keep your dog leashed when outside and be aware of his surroundings... Head outside without him and pick up any mushrooms you can find to minimize the hazard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Until the mushrooms are gone, he is restricted to going out with a leash. We cleared out our side yard, so he can play out there. But even then I am putting him on a tie out, so he can't suddenly decide to run around to the back.
We have been working on leave it. He is doing better, but still needs work. He is only 7 mo. old, and wants to taste everything outside!:doh:
Yard is over an acre, so impossible to clean entirely.
Unfortunately I think the kids yelling no, and chasing him away from the mushrooms, has turned it into a game. He goes for mushrooms, he gets chased, fun!

He gets lots of exercise, but most of it is in the yard. We live on a 4 lane highway not good for walks. So unless we drive for a walk, his playtime is at home. By the end of the day he is usually exhausted from running around. But now everyone is paranoid, he is going to suddenly reach down and grab a mushroom so no one wants to run him around!
I have no vehicle today, so he may just have to wait for tomorrow for a trip to the park and some good exercise.
It is supposed to warm up and be dry the next few days. So grass cutting this week should eliminate the problem. May be a restless few days!! UGH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,931 Posts
I know someone who lost a dog due to eating mushrooms. Since then, I'm paranoid about them. I spent hours and hours last week, picking them, in our yard. We've never had so many but it rained so much that we were overun. If i was you, don't let your dog loose til you've picked them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
My friend's dog got into some wild mushrooms and had to be rushed to the ER and have his stomach pumped. Never let your pup eat wild mushrooms! Like others have said, keep him on a leash when he's outside until you either have time to pull them up or it dries out enough to kill them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankfully it has been nice and warm so they are dried up now. Today he was finally allowed to run around leash free again!! He was very happy! :)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top