Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(hypothetical) how fast could 4 dogs, w/ proper training/conditioning, pull a cart/sled 14 miles? i'm talking a steady pace, easy jog....and, yes, rest times.....and how much weight could be pulled w/ or w/out help.....

this is just a "talk" a friend and i were having today.....

·
Registered
591 Posts
for the iditarod they usually start with 14 to 16 dogs and have to have 8 ( I think ) to finish. They also pull a fully loaded sled over a 1000 miles. These dogs are amazing athletes.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I don't even know how to answer this, because as Keechak said there are SO many variables. For example on a given run/route, my two can go easily twice as fast on a crisp, cool morning as on even a mildly warm or humid morning. Sorry I know you are just looking for a straight answer, but I'm going to pull context/"it depends".

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Thru a little research
there were two 4 dog teams last year who ran a 12 mile race in 2-3 hours at the PSHR Profile Falls Fun Run
there were also three 5 dog teams that ran 12 mile races in 1-3 hours at the Farwell's Far from Nome Sled Dog Event

Hope that gives you a good estimate.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thru a little research
there were two 4 dog teams last year who ran a 12 mile race in 2-3 hours at the PSHR Profile Falls Fun Run
there were also three 5 dog teams that ran 12 mile races in 1-3 hours at the Farwell's Far from Nome Sled Dog Event

Hope that gives you a good estimate.
yeah, it does.....kinda about what i was thinking......

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I would think breed of dog would also play a small variable in this.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The fastest time for an 8 mile race with 4 dogs here in Michigan was 32 minutes and 9 seconds. The fastest time in the 6-dog class for 12 miles was 2 hours and 17 minutes. This is a mid-distance race so there is little that needs to be carried on the sled.

I believe all of the dogs on both teams were Alaskan Huskies which would be a factor in speed. The Siberians tend to be a little slower than the Alaskans...

But really, like it's already been said, it depends on a lot of things like weight of the musher, weight of the sled (loaded or not), condition of the dogs, breed, weather, ground type, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts