Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ideas please! A while back I rescued a toy Maltese whom I was told could not get pregnant due to seizures she has either while giving birth or during nursing! While cleaning her crate she mated with another Maltese I have! I just got her, I had planned on getting her spayed but unfortunately, it's too late for that now! I was told the only way her puppies would survive was to have them wean off another mother! Lucky enough I have a maltipoo and a Pomeranian that is due at the same time! Does anyone else think this could work? Any other ideas? Help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A local vet that I take all my dogs to. I didn't even think she was capable of passing the seizure on, then again I didn't plan on her having puppies! This is such a mess, I rescued her from a breeder who had her and about 200-300 other dogs all locked up in kennels outside in the heat, in such little kennels! I could only rescue 11 dogs! I am disabled and I think I bit on alittle more then I could chew! I found homes for two Pomeranians! A pregnant Maltese died on me the day after I got her home! It was horrible and I got bit by three of her 8 that I have left because they are afraid of human contact! I gave the toy Maltese a bath as well as the two other pomeranians I gave away! What a nightmare this has turned out to be! She has never given any of the dogs a bath in all of their years!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
A local vet that I take all my dogs to. I didn't even think she was capable of passing the seizure on, then again I didn't plan on her having puppies! This is such a mess, I rescued her from a breeder who had her and about 200-300 other dogs all locked up in kennels outside in the heat, in such little kennels! I could only rescue 11 dogs! I am disabled and I think I bit on alittle more then I could chew! I found homes for two Pomeranians! A pregnant Maltese died on me the day after I got her home! It was horrible and I got bit by three of her 8 that I have left because they are afraid of human contact! I gave the toy Maltese a bath as well as the two other pomeranians I gave away! What a nightmare this has turned out to be! She has never given any of the dogs a bath in all of their years!
This does sound like a nightmare! Is there someone who can come in and help you sort all of this out? Maybe a breed specific rescue or just a rescue in general? It sounds as if your heart was in the right place ... but it may be a bit much for one person to handle.

200-300 dogs is a horrible situation ... if it is as you say! I hope there are some authority figures getting involved in this ... such as a humane society or something of the equivalent. Many of those dogs could need some serious veterinary care and have things wrong with them beyond what the average persons eye can see.

Good luck in whatever you do ..... I hope you find help!

Please keep us posted on your situation. I do not know about others ... but I am concerned for the welfare of all of you.

I seriously would see the vet and have that little dog spayed. There are still those 200-300 dogs back at that place probably adding to the population of unhealthy and unfortunate unwanted dogs. This is so sad. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to see another vet real soon to see what he or she has today! I didn't expect the financial bind that soon and I am suspecting she was already pregnant as I think she is already showing! Her stomach is hard and her separated from her nipples, now I'm definitely not a breeder so I won't guess with her life but I am thinking she maybe farther along then I think! I was really trying to give these small dogs a better life in and return I am just being told how stupid I am for putting myself in that situation! I gave away the sweet ones she was trying to breed at eight years old! Poor dogs! 3 of these dogs run loose around my land and I'd really like to take the four outside to some type of agency that could help! This woman gave her dog their shots and I know she didn't deworm them! I still can't touch 2 of the four I have outside! When I confronted the breeder about her horrible homes for these dogs she claimed she can't get anyone to help her clean up the poop, even with her hiring help! I told her there was no excuse for those dogs suffering! She said people would tell her they changed the pools she provided fog them to cool off and they would litterallty lieng! I turned her animal cruelty! What's sad is that these are petty much full bred dogs! And they are small the kind people keep in their houses! Dogs that I have akc papers for! Dogs you would pay $900.00 for as puppies! It's really sad! My one son helps me with the dogs but what I didn't say is I already had 4 pure bred dogs of my own! All four are pure bred, two have papers, Aldo two of them are toys! Mine are really sweet beautiful dogs! Going in for a nerve conduction study on my legs today to see how my displaced discs are affecting my legs! So I can have surgery right away! My heart was in the right place but not my brain! Hoping I can get these dogs socialized so I can find them homes! Thank you everyone for reaching out! I really needed to talk and vent!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Get an emergency spay. Vets CAN do them. It will be less risky than whelping. Go to a different vet if you need to.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
1) Since the dogs you rescued are purebreds, if you want to give up some of the dogs (which I think is probably a good idea), look into breed-specific rescues. Here's a link to Texas Maltese Rescue: http://www.malteserescue.us/mrstates/texas.html. There are rescues for other breeds too. They can help you find good homes with other families.

2) I agree with the others who have recommended you find another vet and have a pregnant spay done. You know what would be more overwhelming and expensive than the 8 dogs or however many you have right now? 8 dogs, plus a little of possibly-epileptic puppies!

·
Registered
70 Posts
There really is no good reason not to do an emergency spay. A good vet can do it easily--if current vet is balking find another vet fast. This is the best thing for the bitch, for the puppies, and for the overcrowded canine world.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I totally agree with the emergency spay, I had to do one on a rescue dog I had several years ago, they are a little more expensive than a regular spay but if you figure costs of what looks like will be a tricky pregnancy and/birth against the er spay and then add in the fact that even with medical help with her during whelping the dog and/or pups may not survive or have serious problems . If your vet is telling you you CANT do an ER spay , talk to another vet !!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts