Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
My girl gave birth to 8 chubby healthy puppied on Thursday night by through a c section. After a wobbly start she settled down well with them untill early this morning. She keeps taking one of them (always the same one) to an outbuilding down the garden she does not leave it there she stays with it leaving the other 7. I have now locked the dog flap to stop her from doing this but every chance she gets she picks up this pup and she is off. All of the puppies are gaining weight and feeding well. Any idea what could be the problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It may be nothing, but it could be that the babies she leaves behind are sick somehow. I would definitely bring them all right back to the vet for tests, especially blood work. I'm not sure if it's the same with dogs, but I had a cat that did nearly the same thing. It turned out that the abandoned babies had leukemia and anemia. One sign of anemia is whiteness of the gums and tongue, but they started out very pink, so we had no idea there was something wrong until they started dying.

I really do hope it's just a postpartum quirk that goes away soon. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts