Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok guys i am adopting a adult female boxer in about 2 months, i was going to do a raw/barf diet. and i was wondering your views on multivitamins
should i give her a multivitamins for humans or find one for dogs.
i
know garlic is very good for dogs, it helps get rid of worms, prevent flees, is prolly good for the coat.
how many cloves should i give. and should i give it daily or once a week.

oh also i will be giving the dog 1 fish oil pill a day
thanks people.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
If you are going to feed a well balanced raw diet, I wouldn't worry about vitamins. They get what they need from the food your feeding. Garlic is a good add-in, I feed about 2-3 cloves a week.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great thanks, i kinda thought the vitamins would be a bit over kill especially since i would be feeding veg every other day.
btw your boxers are beautiful.

·
Banned
221 Posts
There is no need to supplement with vitamins when feeding a raw diet. Feeding a veggie every other day will add nothing to the nutritional benefits of the diet. There are no nutrients in veggies that isn't in animal parts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There is no need to supplement with vitamins when feeding a raw diet. Feeding a veggie every other day will add nothing to the nutritional benefits of the diet. There are no nutrients in veggies that isn't in animal parts.
Although there is some truth to your statement, I think it is important to analyze which raw food is being fed. There are still many raw companies out there that call themselves the BARF diet. Even Orijen calls itself a BARF diet: Biologically Appropriate Real FOOD-kibble. If you are feeding fresh meat and organs, and rotating through properly, theoretically there is no reason to add a multivitamin supplement. As for the veggies, if you are making your own raw diet, most likely the raw meat you choose will be frozen. Everyone knows that you lose nutritional value when you cook or freeze something. Therefor using fresh fruits and veggies (not frozen) will bring in the nutritional value missing from the frozen meats. In general, before you just jump into raw.... really research each available option to you and decide what is best.

·
Banned
221 Posts
I guess I tend to not think of the commercial foods including the premix raw diets as a real raw diet. I understand that cooking destroys nutrients however I have never seen anything indicating that freezing does. Where do you get your information? What nutrients are destroyed by freezing and what veggies or fruits would replace those nutrients?

I just jumped into raw feeding over 15 years ago and have been researching ever since. I haven't fed any fruits or veggies or used any supplements in the last 10 years with no aparent nutritional deficiencies in any of my dogs during that period. Glucosemine for elderly dogs is my only exception to no supplements.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Although there is some truth to your statement, I think it is important to analyze which raw food is being fed. There are still many raw companies out there that call themselves the BARF diet. Even Orijen calls itself a BARF diet: Biologically Appropriate Real FOOD-kibble. If you are feeding fresh meat and organs, and rotating through properly, theoretically there is no reason to add a multivitamin supplement. As for the veggies, if you are making your own raw diet, most likely the raw meat you choose will be frozen. Everyone knows that you lose nutritional value when you cook or freeze something. Therefor using fresh fruits and veggies (not frozen) will bring in the nutritional value missing from the frozen meats. In general, before you just jump into raw.... really research each available option to you and decide what is best.
first off who said i was buying processed food. i dont even know or care to know who orijen is or any other company,.
actually if you know any thing about food you would know that freezing doesnt destroy the nutrients of food, but freezing does destroy the cell wall of meat and veg, do you ever wonder why some veg gets all mushy after freezing well its because the extreme cold destroys the cell walls. also some meats will get rubbery and tougher after frezing.

maybe you should take a cooking course or watch the food network a bit more.

it looks like you need to do some research before you recommend what people should do.
so please stop spreading bad information around and read up

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
first off who said i was buying processed food. i dont even know or care to know who orijen is or any other company,.
actually if you know any thing about food you would know that freezing doesnt destroy the nutrients of food, but freezing does destroy the cell wall of meat and veg, do you ever wonder why some veg gets all mushy after freezing well its because the extreme cold destroys the cell walls. also some meats will get rubbery and tougher after frezing.

it looks like you need to do some research before you recommend what people should do.
Whoa. There is no reason to cop that attitude. It's YOU that needs to read up - C&M's comments weren't directed towards you.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts

I'm not sure what you're reading into posts, or what's the purpose of your attitude, but if you're looking for select answers to your question...this forum can not/will not accommodate you. Otherwise, take what's helpful and be more tactful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.