Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5 dogs.

#1 My two youngest (litter-sisters) are 7 month old, spayed chi-weenies. They will not go outside to pee/poo when its raining so they end up doing their business in the house, usually (not not always) near the doggy door (and yes, I have pee pad there just in case). Advice Needed.

#2 My Peki-Chi who is 3yo, is deathly afraid of loud noises (Thunder, movie noises when my hubby has the surround-sound on), hammering/drilling, etc. when my DH is doing home remodeling, and I'd like to help her overcome her fears. The movie noises can be controlled, I don't know about the hammering, etc. and God controls the thunder...lol. Advice Needed.

#3 Since we brought home our chi-weenies (6 months ago), our second Peki-chi (7lb. neutered) will NOT befriend them. Every time they approach him, he growls, snarls, and even snaps at them. They are the sweetest, most loving little dogs ever, but my Peki-chi is scaring them half to death every time they walk by him. Advice Needed.

#4 I think my mail-lady is going to have a heart-attack every time she approaches our door! Anytime they hear someone approaching our front door and have a built in doorbell. One will start barking (a different one each time), and the others chime in. I keep telling them "No", but that obviously doesn't work. Advice Needed.

Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Hi, and welcome.
1. So, do you take the chihuahua-dachshunds out to potty, and they just don't, and then end up doing it on the floor later, when you're not watching? I'm just asking to be clear.
If you actually take them out, and go out with them, but they just don't go, I would try this:
- take them outside, separately (get a jacket and umbrella and be prepared to go out with them.
- say the magic words.
- give them 5 minutes, if they won't go, take them inside for 5 minutes (but keep your eyes on them, don't let them out of your sight) and then take them out again for another try. Basically, out for 5 minutes, in for 5 minutes, the idea that you are not letting them off the hook until they go, you just keep going back outside.

2. There is a sticky on one of the forum pages about desensitizing dogs to inanimate objects. You might try that sticky. I don't have much experience with that issue, myself, as my 3 aren't upset by noises.

3. When you brought the two puppies home, did you introduce them in a neutral environment? That's usually the best way, so that the dog you already had can meet and get to know them outside of the home and not feel protective of his home. But, that ship has sailed.....
Do you ever walk the puppies WITH the older dog? Sometimes walking them next to each other, parallel, can help them bond a bit. But, I'd have some help with that, one person walking the older dog, and one the pup(s).

4. I would try a "quiet" command. "No" doesn't really do much, as it's more of an interrupter that an actual instruction. But, you'd have to teach the quiet command separately to each dog. When they are barking, shove a yummy treat under their nose. Most likely they will stop barking to investigate the treat. Say "good quiet!" in a super excited voice, and give the treat. Next time they bark, do the same thing, but, over time, require them to remain quiet longer before they get the treat. So, in the beginning they'd get the treat right away, but, over the next few times, they have to sit quietly for 10 seconds, then 20, then 30 etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good advice given! Walking all of them will help with the issues for sure, it gets things moving and gets the dogs tired.

Another thing to try with the doorbell/barking is to have some good treats in a room away from the doorbell. Get some neighborhood kids to help by coming and ringing the doorbell often over the course of a few days. Each time the doorbell rings, go to the treats and start feeding the dogs treats. They'll likely not clue in at first and stand there and bark, and you may need to go show them the food then get them moving away from the door to get the treats. Once all the dogs get the idea ask them to be quiet and sit before they get their treat. It may help to work one dog at a time, and put a note on the doorbell that anyone who is going to ring the doorbell might have to wait a few minutes for you to do this routine before you open the door for them (so they can just wait quietly). The walking will help to tire them out and make the doorbell less of the daily entertainment. I also wouldn't yell "QUIET" at them or anything like that, dogs don't hear 'QUIET, NO, SHUSH', they hear BARK BARK BARK and assume you're doing the same.

If the mail lady is willing have her give the dogs treats when she comes too, same rules, they have to be quiet before they get a treat, so when they sit, they can have that reward and so on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts