Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm so so sorry it isn't better news:(

I agree maybe pain meds will at least make him feel a little better. Though a fine needle biopsy would give you more answers regarding how agressive it may be I can understand why you wouldn't want to stress him if it scares him to go to the vet. I know when I don't feel well I just want to stay home curled up on the couch.

Please give Leo a big hug and a belly rub for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hi again, sorry I didn't post sooner, guess I'm a bit down. Leo was doing sort of ok for the past few days, up and down on his own most of the time. Today and yesterday not so much though. We've had to help him up and when he does walk it's not for long, even falling down in the yard and we have had to pick him up and bring him back in.

I am calling tomorrow about pain med and also to see if there is any chance this could be something other than cancer, if not then I won't do a biopsy. I don't see how we would even get him to the vet without stressing him at this point since he's so tired and/or in pain. I wish I knew if it was pain or fatigue, hard to tell. He's not yelping or whining when he walks, just kinda goes slow, shaky and pants a lot. He ate pretty good today though, 3 chicken breasts. I was doing some searching online and found that he has most of the symptoms of IMHA - enlarged liver, low rbc count, fatigue, fast breathing/heart, enlarged lymph nodes, orange colored stools (which I guess I forgot about because of the other symptoms). Not sure if anyone here has experience with that or not, was wondering if all the lymph nodes would be enlarged with that or just one or two. I thought even if it's not this, maybe him being anemic is contributing to his lethargy. I guess I'm also kinda in denial and with his WBC count being normal it's hard for me to think cancer still.

Today I gave my hubby his father's day card, which I usually make for him every year and it's always from Leo, my other dog Peanut and all the cats. I printed out a pic we just took of the two of them, Leo is looking up at my hubby and has so much love in his face. I drew little red hearts around Leo's head, it looked so cute but it broke my heart when I was making it. I wasn't sure if I should even give it to my hubby because I didn't want to make him sad. I did end up giving it to him and then sort of regretted it, he broke down really bad, something he hasn't done yet. I guess he's been keeping it in. We know this probably is his last father's day with Leo. He's his baby, he got him 3 years before we met so Leo is definitely a Daddy's boy. Just a story I wanted to share.

Thanks so much for your support and advice! I let Leo know he has all of you rooting for him.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, what a sad story... You're all in my thoughts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm glad to hear he was ok for a few days but sorry it's been up and down. I was hoping he would be doing some what better. Let's hope the vet can offer something that will make Leo a little more energetic and less lethargic.

for Leo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Leo is having great difficulty tonight breathing through his nose and won't even stand up long enough to go to the bathroom. I thought I saw discharge blocking his nostril but on further inspection with a flash light I noticed a growth inside each nostril, both the same size and both almost right at the opening and pink in color. I'm so worried now. I thought nasal cancer would only be in one nostril. This seems like it just happened bc I've been looking at his nose a lot ever since his nosebleeds. I'm going to see if I can take him into the vet tomorrow. He can't even sleep because when he puts his head down and his mouth closes he can't get enough air through his nose. He's been so frustrated and I feel horrible. I'm so worried. Anyone know what these growths could be? Cancer?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have no idea... I'm not even sure what to say... just thought of sending you and Leo a great big hug. Be strong and know that we are here for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Leo passed away very peacefully tonight, on his blankie next to his daddy and my other dog pnut in our bedroom. He was breathing one minute and gone the next, no pain. He just looked like he was sleeping. Even by the time we got him to the emergency vet he was still so peaceful and warm. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm so glad that Leo has such a peaceful passing. It hurts so much to have to let them go, how well I know. He knew that he was loved. That's what matters the most. My heart goes out to you and your family.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
foofer - i'm sorry. I'm glad he went peacefully and he is no longer suffering. Thanks for sharing his last moments with us - my heart goes out to you and yours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks everyone. He was cremated today, so sad to think about him being like that when just last night his eyes were so bright and happy. Even after he passed and was at the emergency vet, his eyes were so bright. I closed them before I left him. I will be picking up his ashes tomorrow, that will be so hard but I know our baby will be back with us. My mother had a beautiful crape myrtle delivered to us today so we can plant it in Leo's honor. Even the delivery woman was in tears, she couldn't even tell us what kind of plant it was because she was so broken up. I will stop by there when I'm ready to tell her thank you, she walked all the way up our stairs with this huge plant and a brace on her leg. So we decided to plant it near our outdoor table, in the same spot Leo was sitting this past Saturday when we grilled. Probably not the best place to plant it but the most meaningful. Now whenever we come and go to the car we will walk by it and whenever we grill, when we are happy enough to, it will be sitting right next to us. Thanks again everyone for all your kind words.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Foofer I am so sorry that you lost your wonderful Leo.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts