Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that my 14-month-old dog is limping - this is the third time in the past three months. The first time, we took her to the vet who diagnosed it as a sprained toe (physical exam only; she didn't think xrays were needed). She gave us a script for Rimadyl, told us to restrict her activity for two weeks, and return if there was no improvement in a week. We gave our dog a dose of Rimadyl when we got home and she seemed fine the next day; we did limit her activity for the two weeks (no running, jumping, stairs, short leash walks only).

Two weeks ago, she was favoring the same paw, and later in the day was limping again. Because the first incident resolved so quickly, we decided to wait and see. Once again, she was fine the next day, but we limited her activity for about a week.

Tonight, I just noticed that she's favoring the same paw.

I plan to call the vet in the morning for an appointment, but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be and / or if there is anything specific I should ask the vet.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I dunno, but maybe it isn't getting chance to heal so when the pain subsides a little, she overdoes it, re-irritating/injuring it, and limping... Rimadyl is great at reducing pain, but a sprain can take 2 - 3 weeks to heal, then you might re-introduce increased activity slowly over another 2 - 3 weeks.

???

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Both scenarios are very possible. She's not any better today and we can't get into the vet until early next week (unless she gets worse). We'll just continue to keep her quiet until then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts