Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone

a couple of years ago my family bought the 2 cutest jack Russells ever. Brother and sister. they are great dogs, but the male has seemed to always have a nice side and a very mean side. We learned what to do to avoid the "mean side" such as no up on furniture and other things. But here is the problem, a few months ago we rescued an italian grey hound who although very quirky is a very good dog, but every now and then the male jack russel flips out on the grey hound who is only like 1 year old. They sometimes get very intense with the grey hound yelp after yelp. No injuries have occured yet but we are afraid of that one time something might happen. Please help. the jack is such a cute nice dog 99% of the time but its like he has 2 personalities. HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Without more information, I'd guess you have a bored Jack Russell on your hands. Those are classic signs of a terrier with too little to do. They need lots of exercise, but not just wild running around. They should be be highly structured activities. And ones that make the dog solve problems for himself.

So, what is the dogs typical day like? How much--and what kind--of training has he had? How is his general health? Is he overweight? What does he eat? How were the dogs introduced?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. Well he is very well trained and knows many commands. We have a field down the street and we play ball with him a lot (2-3 times a week) weather permitting. He actually was trained by a dog trainer named sean. He was on Orange county choppers just a fun fact. the grey hound just kinda moved in. Personally i think the jack is just highly territorial and food aggressive. they eat some very expensive food my dad buys at the local mom and pop pet store. I don't know the exact brand though.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Terriers are known for being less than perfect with dogs. They were bred to work and they are really intense and confident. More exercise and mental stimulation is always good, but protecting the IG is really important too. Maybe take turns letting them out in the room. I would never leave them unsupervised. Ever. I wouldn't be to big on letting them play either. Terriers can have their play energy spill over into aggression very quickly. If the squabbing continues, it will almost always escalate. The IG has virtually no ability to protect herself.

I own three terriers and am looking at a whippet. I am walking into this knowing that I may need to keep two packs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts