Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

For all those of you who try to buy higher quality, healthier dry food for your dogs,
know that it most likely still has MSG in it.
Recently found this out myself, and I wanted to let others be aware.
The ingredient in dog food listed as "Natural Flavor" is MSG- an excitotory neurotoxin.
Also anything "Hyrdolyzed"

More info on other hidden names of MSG etc. http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

·
Registered
468 Posts
Although a high quality kibble will probably not have unnamed ingredients like "natural flavors" or anything hydrolyzed.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
TOTW has "natural flavor." And Acana grain-free has kelp, which is a natural concentrated source of glutamate. I'm not worried about it. I think the MSG thing is way overblown, both for people and for dogs.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Natural glutamates are in a ton of foods. . .it's very hard to avoid them. But unless someone is sensitive to glutamates, it's not a problem. They are naturally occurring compounds. And not the same as MSG.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Natural glutamates are in a ton of foods. . .it's very hard to avoid them. But unless someone is sensitive to glutamates, it's not a problem. They are naturally occurring compounds. And not the same as MSG.
Sure, natural glutamates are fine. The Natural Flavor in dog food and the link with the list of other names for MSG is only referring to processed glutamates, which are an excitotoxins, not natural glutamates.

I got a lot of my information from a toxic injury consultant I was talking to on another dog site, here's part of his comment-
"Processing by high and or long heat, hydrolysis or enzymolysis releases the enzymatic bonds in naturally occuring L-glutamate or L aspartate (the safe kind) rendering them D-glutamate and D-aspartate, the excitotory neurotoxins."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although a high quality kibble will probably not have unnamed ingredients like "natural flavors" or anything hydrolyzed.
So far I've only found about 3 kibbles that don't have the natural flavor in it at all. Most of the ones I was looking into were the higher quality ones, EVO, Taste of the Wild, Back to Basics, and pretty much any one I could find on dogfoodadvisor, I tend to only bother looking into 5-star rated foods.
I think it's just not something people are aware of/concerned about so the dog food companies don't have to worry about leaving it out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sure, natural glutamates are fine. The Natural Flavor in dog food and the link with the list of other names for MSG is only referring to processed glutamates, which are an excitotoxins, not natural glutamates.

I got a lot of my information from a toxic injury consultant I was talking to on another dog site, here's part of his comment-
"Processing by high and or long heat, hydrolysis or enzymolysis releases the enzymatic bonds in naturally occuring L-glutamate or L aspartate (the safe kind) rendering them D-glutamate and D-aspartate, the excitotory neurotoxins."
Then wouldn't ALL kibble that contains the safe kind also have the bad kind of MSG? All Kibble is cooked at high temperatures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then wouldn't ALL kibble that contains the safe kind also have the bad kind of MSG? All Kibble is cooked at high temperatures.
Yes, all dry kibble has it to some extent. The ones to look for according to the person I talked to is the kind that you can find to be minimally processed, the less processed, the better. So you would actually want to find out more about the actual manufacturer, and talk to them about their process. (He recommended Brothers Complete, as he did research and knew them to minimally process)
And I also prefer to look for ones that don't add that natural flavoring, but that's just personal preference as I believe that's added unnecessarily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts