Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with flying dogs on long (10 hr +) flights? And has anyone gone through the process of flying dogs to Hawaii specifically? I have accepted a job offer in Hawaii to live on Oahu for 2 years and will be bringing my 2 Australian Shepherds. I'm working with my vet to get all the paperwork done to avoid the quarantine. I am worrying about the long flight for the dogs. It will be a minimum of a 10 hour flight plus the wait time beforehand if I can find a straight flight for them and a good chance of it being more like 15 hours of no water or potty breaks. Any tips on flying or reccomendations on airlines to use?

I trial my dogs in a number of sports right now. Looking at dog boarding on the island it looks like cost wise it would be the same to fly them back with me for the 8 different weeks a year that I will be home. Flying them back with me would mean they could still go to events. What are opinions on whether this is humane to put them through long flights for a week home?

Also, if anyone is in Hawaii.. my dogs are currently active in herding, agility, dock diving, fast CAT, and rally. Not seeing many opportunities for any dog sports on the island so if anyone knows of things to do (or dog friendly hikes/beaches) please let me know!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I did 10+ hours with my puppy but it was broken into two legs and he was in cabin with me, so it's not really the same. He was fine, though! Pretty much slept the whole time.

I'd say see how well they cope with their flight before you make any decisions about future frequent flying for them. 16 long distance flights per year sounds like a lot of stress and risk to me, though. I'd especially think about leaving them home during the hotter parts of the year, as poor temperature control is one of the big problems for dogs and flying.

Different airlines have very different safety records where dogs are concerned, so that's something to be careful about.

I think you are supposed to have a food/water tray inside the crate? If you put ice in there instead of liquid water it'd probably hold up to travel better.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about dogs and aviation. I do know that, personally, the stress of flying wears me out. I am an anxious flyer. The following day, I'm just wiped out. I know people talk about jet lag but I think that has more to do with a time change, which is not my issue. For me, I'm simply wiped out from the release of stress that I pent up during the flight and the hours before. I would imagine it would be much the same for a dog.

For canine activities on Oahu, I think your first point of contact should be the Hawaiian AKC. If they don't know about events, they will surely be able to put you in contact with someone who does. http://hawaiiankennelclub.org/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts