Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently found out that I'll likely be moving in about 4 weeks to a new home in the same neighborhood (8 city blocks from my current building), thanks to ever increasing rents in NYC.

I'd like to make the move as painless as possible for my 1 year old Keeshond, and honestly I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. Luckily, we'll be in the same neighborhood, so we'll still go to the same parks and we'll be close enough to walk around the same general area (i.e. it won't be a completely new area that she's never been to). Aside from moving I don't anticipate anything else changing (same dog walker, same vet, same schedule, etc).

My main question is whether I should move fast or slow - I have the option to move in early to the new place and have an overlap of 2 weeks, so I'd be able to move all my things slowly and bring the dog over to the new place to hang out and hopefully get used to it. I've read that I should just send the dog to daycare, move everything into the new place in a single day and then never bring the dog back to the old apartment - in essence a "clean" break.

I don't know what to do, but I do know that I have to make a decision and stick to it so I don't make my pup crazy because I'm anxious and inconsistent.

If anyone has experience or wisdom they can share on this topic I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Dogs are incredibly adaptable, and I think your dog will do just fine no matter how you go about it. It may take a few days to adjust to a new building (is this a house or an apartment?), but I wouldn't worry too much.

Personally, I would simply set up her area (crate, food and water bowls, toy box, whatever) first before she got there, so she feels comfortable, and then just let her explore at her own pace. I would also send the dog to daycare, more for my own sanity than hers, because who wants to be watching a dog while trying to move?

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
do feel the dogs are adaptable I had dogs while in the military and after the first move with them... they got what it was all about, that the next moving around was no big deal... main thing is your there in the new place with them... If you have the opportunity to spend time in the new place with your dog I would do it... Better then moving them in to a strange place and leaving them alone in a strange place while you go to work...

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I agree. Move in the way that is most comfortable for you, and the dog will adapt. Some things that will help:
1. Walk the dog in the back yard when you get there.
2. Walk the dog around the house, after the furniture is moved in (if possible).
3. Remember that dogs 'think' via smells ... so try to transfer as many things - rugs, toys, beds -with his smell and your smell.
4. If you want him to go to the bathroom in your backyard, you can try to set up an area before you move:
A. Get a small, 1 inch square of newspaper or paper towel and wet it with a small amount of his poop. Store in a plastic bag.
B. Do the same thing with a small amount of his pee.
C. Go into the corner of the yard that will be his bathroom, and smear each piece of paper on the ground with a stick, smear each in the same general area, but in about a 1 sq foot area each, leaving the paper on the ground.
D. When the dog smells his area, he may mark it .... Or he may then go elsewhere ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts