Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When beginning crate training, is moving the crate frowned upon? I normally keep the crate in the living room next to the couch so it's in a more heavy traffic area, but the pooch makes a lot of noise at night when I'm in my bedroom and he's out in the crate (we're talking whining and barking for about thirty minutes after being put in, plus more sessions if he wakes up in the middle of the night or before me in the morning). I was wondering if it would be okay to move the crate next to my bed when I'm sleeping, then moving it back out into the living room during the day. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Yes, that's absolutely ok! :) You don't mention if the dog is a puppy or older dog, but either way, if the dog is new to the home sometimes it can make a huge difference to have the crate next to your bed. Just your scent, seeing you, and hearing you breath can be very comforting to a new dog!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I could have mentioned, he is about six months old and has been in the house for three nights, so anything to make him feel more comfortable would be a great help for both of us.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I was wondering if it would be okay to move the crate next to my bed when I'm sleeping, then moving it back out into the living room during the day. Thanks for your help.
Not only is this OK, it is actually recommended.

Although we most often do this with a new puppy, this is actually a good technique to use for any new dog until it gets used to its surroundings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts