Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am moving soon and i have a dog that i have had for four years now. She sleeps in my room in my bed no less at night and i love her heaps. But we have four dogs and she is the eldest and very much the leader of the pack and the matriarch. I would love to take her with me as i will miss her but i work 10 hour days 4 days a week and she would go from being around people and animals 24/7 to alone all day till i get back.

I pretty much know the answer but im going to ask, is it wrong to take her with me?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
think of it this way, is it wrong to dump her with people she doesn't know? 10 hours a day, 4 days a week is not bad at all. She would rather stay with you, than be sent away.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
For me, it would depend how attached she is to the other animals and people in the home, and how much time you would spend with her when you aren't at work. If she's very attached to any of the other dogs, I wouldn't take her away from that. But lots of dogs would LOVE to be an only dog and only tolerate the other pets in the home. And if you plan on going out with your friends every day after work, then leaving her in a home where she'll get more attention is obviously the best thing. But if you walk her and play with her and spend time with her after work, she should be fine. So really it's a situation with no one right answer; it all depends on the circumstances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would spend alot of time with her when im not working indeed. But she is very attached to the other dogs and them to her.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You could look into getting a dog walker or putting her in doggy daycare during the day so she wont be alone.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I would spend alot of time with her when im not working indeed. But she is very attached to the other dogs and them to her.
Well, that is tough. I guess you'd have to decide if she's more attached to them or to you. Is it possible to take her to your place for a trial run to see how she does, and she can move back if she's not happy? Most dogs are very adapable, and most dogs are more attached to their owners than other dogs. But that depends on the individual. And maybe she can live with you part-time, and with the family the rest of the time, if that's possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what i have been thinking, picking her up friday night and dropping her back on sunday night. I would also come get her on my rdo

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
ok, I must have misunderstood. If you don't take her she is staying the some one she knows? I thought you ment all the dogs were yours and you were going to take them and/or rehome her/all of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No lol only one of them is mine the other three will stay with my family here, i am moving out with my sister. We would be like 3 streets away

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
OHHHHHh ok. that is much diffrent. Yeah I think what you said earlier about having her on the weekends is a great idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts