Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She was on eukanaba when we got her and we switched her to blue buffalo freedom for the last 2 months and she has never liked it. I just assume a dog should be excited or interested in her meal time..she isn't really. Unless we sprinke a crushed treat of crumbs over it, then she'll eat it. She is gonna be 6 months soon. Is that when we begin adult food. I saw dog food advisor had Acana and Wellness as 5 star brands. I assume those are good options? She is a 5 month shihtzu. thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
typically a dog is kept on puppy food until they are about a year old, but if shes gaining weight too fast you can switch her around 7 months. is there a particular reason she is on freedom? does she have a grain allergy? if not, grain free is not necessary, fyi.

·
Registered
740 Posts
She was on eukanaba when we got her and we switched her to blue buffalo freedom for the last 2 months and she has never liked it. I just assume a dog should be excited or interested in her meal time..she isn't really. Unless we sprinke a crushed treat of crumbs over it, then she'll eat it. She is gonna be 6 months soon. Is that when we begin adult food. I saw dog food advisor had Acana and Wellness as 5 star brands. I assume those are good options? She is a 5 month shihtzu. thanks everyone :)
My dog really liked Acana, more than Blue Buffalo or Innova. It's individual preference really - you should be rotating types of meat and varieties within the brand as well, so don't always get the chicken one, or the beef one, you know what I mean? Taste of the Wild is favoured above Acana and Wellness, so you might want to try that one as well.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
As long as a food is ALS (all life stages), you can feed a puppy this food now. Some foods to look at are Earthborn, Fromm, Annamaet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi thanks, no real reason she is on grain free. so conflicted about information on when to get to adult food because everything I hear and see is not consistent and it's very frustrating for new puppy owners like us. Online I have read switch her at 1 year, my dog trainer says 6 months, I emailed wellness today and they said 1 year. I guess I will see what my vet says when I go tomorrow.

·
Registered
740 Posts
hi thanks, no real reason she is on grain free. so conflicted about information on when to get to adult food because everything I hear and see is not consistent and it's very frustrating for new puppy owners like us. Online I have read switch her at 1 year, my dog trainer says 6 months, I emailed wellness today and they said 1 year. I guess I will see what my vet says when I go tomorrow.
Your vet is strangely not going to be qualified to provide nutritional advice. Switch her over to adult food at 1 year. I've done a lot of research on this, and it seems to be the best way to go. For small toy breeds, you can switch off a bit earlier at around 9 or 10 months but even then it wouldn't hurt to keep it to 1 year.

I personally don't really get the whole 'puppy' formula thing, so if you want more details on what exactly makes puppy formula, puppy formula, further research would be the way to go..

I feed Butters a pre-made raw diet, called "Tollden Farms" and frankly, the only thing that changes with this diet from age 2 months to 2 years is the portion sizes, which is 2-3% of ideal adult weight. I feel this is better than playing around with different puppy/adult formulas, because in a lot of ways, it's really the quality of value-added ingredients you need to go for. Processed foods, just generally, aren't that great nutritionally.

Maybe consider it? If you figure out the cost differences, it might be marginal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My dogs eat a huge variety. I believe in a rotation diet. eating the same thing day after day, year after year is NOT good for them! it's also boring :). The reason I believe it's not good for them is Oliver used to not be able to eat anything but fish proteins. He would get seriously sick from anything else, but I slowly introduced the rotation diet, and now he can eat everything! My dogs get something different every meal. I feed:

Dry:
Acana
Orijen
Addiction
First Mate
Go
Now
Fromm
Merrick
Before Grain
(I'll use almost all varieties (excluding puppy, low fat and senior)

Canned:
Merrick
Blue's Stew
Tripette
Addiction

Dehydrated:
The Honest Kitchen
Addiction
Canisource

and then I feed raw meals now and then (mostly bony meals), homecooked, table scraps, canned meats (sardines etc) and pureed or cooked veggies. I dont completely exclude grains, but most of their food is grain free. My dogs are THRIVING, and are soooo excited to eat every time!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts