Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as no one had anything to say to my same general post in another section, I've brought it over to here...

Does anyone have any experience with traveling overseas with your dog?

I'm from Australia, back here at the moment. I was living & working in Canada for 18 months through 2010-2011. But that whole time I was wanting to get a dog so badly, but I knew it wouldn't be right to get one while I was there because the quarantine in to Australia is a pain & very expensive. So I waited until I returned here. But now I'm back, and I'm not enjoying it here. I miss Canada & America. I miss adventures, different way of life, culture etc. I have family in the US, but I still couldn't go live there unless I got a green card visa or something (I've entered the DV Lottery). That could take years (or never) to be picked for that, so now I still really want to get a dog here, and whenever I may finally get a visa/a way to move back to North America, then my dog would most certainly be coming with me.

I would be traveling for 1-2 months each year however though prior to moving overseas again, to visit family there. In which time my dog would be fine to stay in my house with my house mates who are more than willing to look after it, as well as some other friends who would be willing to take it out to play occasionally.

Really I'm just wanting to know other peoples experiences with traveling overseas with their dog, how it went, how the dog held up, if it was worth the move etc.

If I had the money I would travel all over the world with a dog... Europe has that whole PETs passport scheme thing, which sounds brilliant. I wish Australia would jump on that bandwagon too and have a much easier way to re-enter!

There's no way I'd leave the dog behind when I moved. Unless the dog ended up physically unable to safely do the journey then I'd have to look in to rehoming. But having said that, chances are low that'd be the case. So the dog comes with me. I want to give a dog the best possible chance in life, and the best life it can have. I've already spent well over $200 on supplies, toys, crate, beds, everything you can think of for a new puppy.. But I still want to make sure I'm making a correct decision..

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm sure you can get this worked out.
I've never done it before...but I know people who have.
My grandma moved to Germany with her two dogs (lab and shepherd) and it worked out fine.

It's just really expensive. Hopefully someone will have more information to provide.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts