Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at the end of this month, Rob (SO) and I will be moving to my parent's two family house. We'll be living in the downstairs portion while Rob finishes up some summer courses and I save up some money while working full time.

The pack is coming with us, so they'll have some settling in to do. Princess is already at my parent's with her siblings and mom. Matilda will probably have it the roughest, getting used to the five other cats that live there. Perry, the rabbit, will cope fine.

I think Dexter will be pretty ecstatic. He'll have a big back yard to roam in, a pool for the summer, a deck for sunbathing, and plenty of cats to play with.

On to the point of this post... for those of you who have moved with your dog, how long did it take him/her to get used to the new surroundings? Dexter has been at my parent's house frequently... almost every weekend since we got him. However, every time we go, he bounds through the house and inspects everything. He's a totally different dog than when he's back at our apartment.

This is a scenario we'll be repeating a few times, I imagine. We're hoping to relocate again early next year... this time to somewhere completely new, possibly on the other side of the country. So I guess any tips for our little move would be beneficial for further down the road!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think it depends on the dog, honestly.

When I moved with Rosie at the end of January, she had a rough time when we first got there. It took her about 2 weeks to get the full hang of things.

However, this was a new apartment that she had never been to before. I think that since Dexter has been to your parents house frequently, he will have a quicker adjustment period.

Rosie has stayed at my nana's house when I've been away, and since she was used to visiting there, she adjusted within a day or two.

good luck!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I've moved several times with my dogs and each time it didn't take more than a few days to settle into the new place.

I think the big thing is their 'stuff' and their routine. I made sure they had their crates, toys, dishes, etc right away and their routine did not change at all.

Even moving half way across country, it was an easy transition for them.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem once we have all our stuff, and more importantly all his stuff, moved in.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think it depends on the dog, honestly.

When I moved with Rosie at the end of January, she had a rough time when we first got there. It took her about 2 weeks to get the full hang of things.

However, this was a new apartment that she had never been to before. I think that since Dexter has been to your parents house frequently, he will have a quicker adjustment period.

Rosie has stayed at my nana's house when I've been away, and since she was used to visiting there, she adjusted within a day or two.

good luck!
I very much agree since Dexter has been at your parents after time their would be no problems or confusion for the dog etc Some dogs will have it hard where they won't eat, everything is out of their routine. I think Dexter will be fine!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting really anxious to move, so I'm just being overly cautious and planning as much as possible. In a week I graduate from college, and then for the next few months I'll be saving money and working freelance jobs until I find a solid career. Then hopefully early next year the SO and I will move into a fresh new apartment.

If all goes as planned, and I'm financially stable and located in a dog-friendly apartment (it will have to be since we have Dex), I'm pretty sure we will be in the market for a second rescue by the end of next summer. Fingers crossed! :D

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Over the years I've moved with my dogs and cats and never did have a one who had difficulties with the move(s). Maybe because I often took trips to see and stay with family/friends, and nearly always took them along, so were comfortable in new surroundings.

One thing I learned with cats: don't ever just do it without telling them in advance! :D The dogs don't care, as long as they're with their mum! LOL

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I learned with cats: don't ever just do it without telling them in advance! :D The dogs don't care, as long as they're with their mum! LOL
Haha. Matilda has been to the house before. Actually, she was a stray that my Mom had taken in from their yard. But she's never been given full roam of the house. It'll be a slow process, but they'll adjust. :)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I think Dexter will do fine. Bet it only takes him a day or 2 before he quits "inspecting" everything.

Would renting a house be out of the question where you live? Around here, a good apt can sometimes cost more than renting a 3 bedroom house. :)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Dexter will do fine. Bet it only takes him a day or 2 before he quits "inspecting" everything.

Would renting a house be out of the question where you live? Around here, a good apt can sometimes cost more than renting a 3 bedroom house. :)
Oh, I should clarify... we actually are renting a house at the moment. We've got the downstairs and plus a half remodeled basement, so it's a 5 bedroom. We've got a small yard, but it stinks because the fencing fell down and the property manager won't fix it.

After we've saved up enough money and the SO is done with his classes, we're hoping to rent another house with a decent, secure yard.

It's sort of the same, here... renting a house can be cheaper than a nice apartment. The only benefit to living in a complex or high rise would be utilities tend to be included, where as they are often separate for houses. Either way, I don't like the idea of living next to, underneath, and above other people. Nor do I like the idea of taking an elevator or stairs every time Dexter has to go potty.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
We just moved into a new house with Zoey.. we brought her over when the house was still empty and let her go smell and explore all the rooms, and then a few hours later moved all our stuff in.. by the next day she was all settled in and barking at 'intruders'.. I was actually pretty shocked how fast she got situated here.. But I guess having all your stuff there makes it home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts