Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finances are forcing us to sell our house and move into an apartment, and honestly, the only thing I am worried about at the moment is the dogs. I'm a former breeder - I once hunted and occasionally showed in conformation, so have seven, mostly older Beagles, three of which have age/breed related health issues. What to do about these dogs, and how we are going to manage in an apartment has been wearing away at me. There are plenty of pet friendly buildings in the area, but I doubt we could find a place that allowed so many. Then, there's the issue of how to manage what is essentially a pack of hunting Beagles in an apartment when they are used to freedom and outdoor space. Re-homing is not an option. Average age is 11-12 years, after that the 8yo was just diagnosed with Cushing's disease. I also bred five of them and had all from puppies. Anyway, I know I'm rambling, but was curious if anyone else has been in a similar situation, where they needed to move from a house to an apartment, and how did the dogs do, adjustment wise? How did you manage taking multiple dogs for walks and keeping them quiet when other tenants were in the hall? I've had three dogs in an apartment before (and two were 65+ lbs) but it's been so long, and the ones I had then were raised in an apartment setting.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Is there any chance that the owners of your pups over the years would enjoy having one of your seniors. I was happy to have a couple of my mentors seniors when she became ill it was easy as they were just like what I loved so much in the dogs that I had and loved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts