Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sigh* Army...blah.
My husband had a medical reclass pending since we moved up here, and it finally went through, we just found out today. He's leaving April 3rd for Fort Jackson, SC...I'm staying here for 2 months and then we'll more than likely be moving to a new duty station.

The problem is, since the military is banning pitbulls (and other breeds) army wide, that means I can't move into base housing again. If we get stationed overseas (read that as Germany) Lily can't go at all.

The military housing isn't so much of a problem, I'd find a place off-post to live...but I can't control it if we get stuck going overseas.

I'm happy to know we're leaving here, because I don't like it, but I"m also afraid of possibly being stationed overseas and having to find Lily a new home...not because I want to mind you, but because I have no choice. Poor sweetheart was just born the "wrong" breed.

It's not much I could have planned for, we just moved last year to NY and typically that means you're there for at least 3-5 years, and most a lot longer. This reclass should have been done more than a year and a half ago, and they said that they were going to have him back where we are at now when he gets done with the school...however I found out today that it's more than likely we won't get to stay here.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah she's for sure a pitbull...there's no getting around that one. Not only that but it would be fraudulent and that's really not something I can get away with.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thought I read you lost one of your dogs recently had to PTS?
She is really a very attractive PB, beautiful face. I remember a time they would force us to live on base if there was vacancy, to save the Gov. money. This is why I would not have dogs until I was through with the military, I could not bare to give up a dog I owned.
Hope things work out in your favor, you impress me to be a very responsible dogs owner.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the thought put into it. We had Smokey when we moved up here (actually we got him shortly after we knew we were moving and I was supposed to find him a home because he was a foster but I liked him too much and kept him), we got Lily up here - this was well before they were considering breed bans on military bases, at least for the Army (a few airforce and marine bases had done it in California and such but nothing with the army) I lived in base housing for 9 months before the ban came down. From what I've read even though she is grandfathered in here, it is non-transferrable to another post...which sucks. We don't ask to move.
Usually they keep you at least 3 years for stability. We don't have to live in base housing, but it's more convenient in this area for sure. Since my husband has already done 5 years in Germany it's not very likely, but it *could* happen. We were told he would come back here after his school date and go to a different unit here, now we're being told differently.

Lacey isn't an issue, as GSD's haven't been banned on any military post that I've found 9I've been searching tonight) and can be taken to Germany (obviously). But I am concerned for Lily. We can avoid living in base housing, that's not a problem and we'll find somewhere I'm sure, but if it's overseas we're pretty well screwed.
I've got 3 months to figure it out, we'll know before april 3rd where we're going.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wish I loved closer to you I d "babysit" in a minute I love pitts they are one of my favorites. She is beautiful and with my BIL and nephew in the military I understand what you are going through.. I am so sorry and wish I could do anything for you.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Could Lily stay at a trustworthy relative? Also I wonder if you could live outside the base if it possible?

I came across this where it had good information
http://www.mydogspace.com/me/brenpooh/blog/2009-02-23U-S--Army-Bans-Pit-Bulls---Other-Breeds-From-Bases

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
► Write a letter to President Barack and Michelle Obama, as well as Army officials.
You may contact the President and the First Lady here or send an e-mail to [email protected] and put the appropriate name in the subject line. To comment to the Army, contact Ms. Joyce VanSlyke at [email protected].

Please keep your contact polite, professional and educational.
Encourage other alternatives such as:

• Consider mandatory micro-chipping. Fine those who abandon their dogs.

• Encourage a law prohibiting dogs from being alone in a yard without supervision, until permanently anchored fencing is allowed on military based housing.

• Enforce mandatory spay/neuter programs for all pets on military based housing.

• Enact higher fines for those who breed dogs on military bases.

• You can also join the Stop Breed Specific Legislation community on the Best Friends Network.

• Teach the community, particularly children, about responsible dog ownership and care. Offer humane educators to speak.

For more information:
• Memorandu omn Pet Policy for Privatized Housing Under the Army’s Residential Communities Initiative

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
You could probably ask someone who wanted to help Regg out if they could take her in a pinch. That is if you don't have a backup plan. Given enough time they'd figure out something for sure.

That really sucks though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know both of my girls have what they call dangerous breed in them but lucky for me my vet marks them under the breed in them that is not deemed mean, or risky. But shhh dont tell anyone this is our little secret... I think it is really sad that they will make you get rid of your dog even though they have ok'd to be with you where you are at. I really hope you can keep her but if not I am hoping someone you know or someone here will take her in while you are unable to able to take her. Then its a win win because she will be well taked caer of and you can have her back.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Microchipping is already mandatory where I live, housing is also required to have fencing that meets a certain standard. Just FYI. Housing here is privatized already, they are the ones that can adopt or decline the laws, other bases such as where we came from (Ft Huachuca, AZ) have not adopted these laws as of yet.

Also, for folks that aren't aware of how the military works, I could write until my hands fall off to everybody with a little power. My husband's only a Sgt (E5) which means most of it would fall on deaf ears and end up in File #13...especially since most of the places in effect with these bans have privatized housing. What that means is this: It's like an apartment complex, leased from the military. They can pass any rules they deem fitting, and some that are even deemed "unconstitutional" because of the placement. Such as I am forced to allow housing officials in at anytime to go through my house without warning, and honestly, NY state deemed it "unconstitutional" to ban dogs by breed - but they did it here. There's a lot of gray area's with civilian vs military with housing.

Lily's vet records have her as a "Bull Terrier". She's a papered APBT but I didn't argue with the vet. Obviously she's not a bull terrier, the head gives her away. I can't think of much else she actually looks like. BT's are also banned here, so it doesn't make much of a difference.

As far as I know right now we aren't going to SC. Hubby is going there for school for 8 weeks but I'll stay here for those 2 months. We are hoping for NC because we have an "in" there and will be in better shape to find housing. Once we get hard copy orders I'll know exactly where we are going, and I should have those next week sometime.

Like I mentioned before, it's very unlikely we'll ever live in base housing again, just because we aren't going to give Lily up for it, even if it's a lot more convenient.

ETA:
I only have family in Arizona, but my mom has 10 dogs already. In a pinch she'd take her though, I'd just have to ship Lily to AZ from up here. I'm also working with a few friends to see if we can come up with a solution as a back up plan "just in case" - I'm so happy I have 3 months to figure it out.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Did you even click the link I provided and read the information?. Basically it is a news story that someone had a DNA profile done on the Pitbull they owned and the DNA did not come back pitbull.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Bad things about this:
Moving stinks.
Breed bans in new on base housing.
Possible over seas orders (requires a plan 'in case' it happens but worry solves nothing and makes you miserable).

Good things:
Maybe you will not be relocated to another snow belt.
You have time.. hopefully you will know where you are going so you can find off base housing.
You have time.

Time is huge.
Wishing you well!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I'm probably right in the middle of where you are now and where you will be going....VA

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help if you get into a hard situation:)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you even click the link I provided and read the information?. Basically it is a news story that someone had a DNA profile done on the Pitbull they owned and the DNA did not come back pitbull.
Yep sure did, it was an interesting read. I'm not sure how well it would fly though.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw the same Yahoo answer as you posted Naoki...great minds and all that.

If it comes down to that I can always call the consulate and do a bit of research to see what my options are.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts