Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lived with 2 other roommates for a year and decided the rescue a dog. She was a 1 year old German Pinscher. She weighs 45lbs. She has always had issues with cats, she has never attacked one, but she will chase them if she can and the times she has caught them, or the time I visited a friend's house who had a cat she keeps them cornered and just stalks them. She doesn't lunge or try to bite them, simply stalks them and mirrors their every move keeping them cornered. After 1 year, I moved into a new house, the people I'm living with have 3 dogs of their own, small white dogs. My girlfriend also got a new dog last week and they got along great until the new dog would try and take a toy that my dog was playing with. They would play with the toy, my dog would chase my girlfriends dog, but when my dog finally got the toy and my girlfriends dog started chasing her she would growl and sometimes it even turns into a fight. Now, sometimes when she is running around in the backyard with my girlfriends dog they'll be playing and all of a sudden it turns into a fight, you can see it escalating sometimes and we stop it before it turns into a fight but sometimes it escalates so rapidly we can't stop it before they start fighting. Also, with the new dogs she stalks the smallest dog similar to the way she stalks cats and if the other dog is sitting on a couch with a human she'll whine while staring at the dog. Lately she's even nipped at this small dog, it's happened twice now. Whenever I see her doing it I tell her immediately to leave it. She'll leave the dog alone for a little while, then in 1-2 minutes she's back to stalking her. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated, it's really embarrassing around the new people I'm living with when my dog stalks and whines at their dog.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I'd keep the dogs apart for now just as if you got another dog and were introducing them to one another. Take them for walks together, have them with you leashed but no playing together and when you aren't around the dogs are completely separated in exercise pens, crates or behind closed doors. This will likely take at least a week. Once they are not interested in one another you can drop the leash and let them move around a bit more but no food, toys or playing together yet. When you want to allow a chewing session or play then leash them again and in the case of play only allow the dogs that know one another to play together. You play with your dog alone for now and use the little dogs play time as training to ignore their tantalizing darting about. If it is too much then leave with her.

Learn what happens just before your dog starts targeting the small dogs. Probably there is at least a stare going on, the start of a crouch maybe? Interrupt her at that point and reward her giving you attention. I can call Ginger's name and give her a tiny cookie when she looks at me. She sure seems overstimulated by other dogs but somehow manages to respond and come for a bit of cheese or real meat. Start working on this now even though she is leashed or separated when they are around. dog>eye contact>cookie.

She sounds like a high energy dog. How much exercise, play and training is she getting daily? Since she likes chasing animals perhaps she would like to learn to chase balls instead? Or get or make a flirt pole and use it with rules.

They are strangers and don't understand one another yet. If you let them take lots of time watching one another they will learn and relax.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts