Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tucker is our pup with to much energy for his owne good but is such a lover, whom loves to go for walks. We have just recently adopted him from a shelter as he was surrendered in fear that a previous neighbour whom was feeding him was going to poison him since he was getting sick. He is a 8 month old jack russle - Daschund cross. He has a few bad habbits that we need to get undercontroll asap, but I love him to bits.

Tucker has a habbit of mouthing/biting your hand he doesn't do it hard and it's not ment to hurt, I have found that he does it when you do something that he doesn't necisarily like or when he is playing. (he's playing i wouldn't expect anything less) I know that he is still a puppy and am hoping that he will maybe grow out of it. My vet was telling me that its something that i need to get in check because they could not look at his teeth when he went in for a check up.

I'm looking for advice in tackling this issue. We have peen giving him a little tap on the nose and sternly saying no as well as a smack on the bum (which oddly enough he seems to enjoy and doesn't phase him at all.)

I just want to stress now I do not strike my dogs out of ill will and do not beat them. I think it is a horrible thing that people do that animals whom cannot defend themselves.

He does need some training as he does not listen all to well all the time, but he does know how to behave and do a few tricks. He is very food motivated but I am affraid that if we use treats to reward him all the time he will get fat, as this is a concern with our mini doxi. does any one have any sudgestions as to another way we can reward him??

I sware i'm almost done. Also to those Jack Russle and Jack Russle cross owners around what age did you find that they settle down around as we have never owned a hyper breed befor.

I look forward to reading any sudgestions any one may be able to give.

~Saira

I have read "The Bite Stops Here" sticky in the First Time Dog Owner and Basic Questions forum and i'm going to give it a try. Any other sudgestions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 2 mini daschunds, 1 female and 1 male...when we first brought home our female, Codi, she had a mouthing problem as well. Personally, I think alot of it had to do with my girlfriends older brother and dad playing rough with her when she was a baby. So that's definitely something not to do, but what I found worked really well was whenever she would try to bite my hand I would say a firm "NO BITING" and then I would stop playing and ignore her. Dogs want your attention, and even though you are saying no and giving a light smack, that is still attention. By ignoring completely, it will eventually teach them that if they bite, they will not have your attention. It takes time and dedication, but is worth the effort in the end.

good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts