Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off: I took her to the vet, Had 3rd round of puppy shots done, #3 on that scale on weight, and clean check-up/health is good.

Second: He said she is a springer spaniel mix. But he has no idea with what. lol. and she's approx 4 maybe 5 months old. **her measurements: 26in from butt to nose, 19in from floor to top of head, 16.5in from floor to shoulders**

Third: She is Mouthing and Nipping.... I watched an episode of a Lab puppy(this was a old episode) of Victoria StillWell(Animal Planet Dog Trainer from UK/Eastern USA)... So i did a practice she recommended (it was for mouthing/nipping along with jumping up on ppl)... Stand/Get Up and turn your back on the dog and keep turning your back to the dog as long as the nipping/mouthing occurs... However, It worked but yet it didnt as She is very Sensetive and Gentle and Loving. She quickly realized that she could do it again if she just walked around me to face me, and around we went for a little bit. Then she did get bored with the "game" of nipping/mouthing/turning in a circle ... But again that didnt work quite as well. is there any tips that could work for a not young puppy but not older puppy, on the mouthing/nipping as I have a 10month old plus a ad/hd*attention deficiet/hypertension disorder* 9yr old... And my 9yr old gets hurt feelings easily.. I know this wont last long if treated now... She isn't a big toy fan but loves rawhide bones.. We've had her for 12+ hours but I want this to stop asap.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Wait a second, you've had her for less than a day? It takes time for any training to work. As in days, weeks or even months. You have to be patient with dogs, especially puppies. Puppies are babies, and just like babies, it takes them time to learn new things.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Geeze, you and your place mean nothing to her. If somebody grabbed you put a hood over head and were able to drop you in Germany or name a country then took hood off how long do you think for you to even feel comfortable in new surroundings. With your intelligence you would/could adapt but even you are not gonna do it in 12 hours. It's a very lame/unfair comparison but just think about it. Your new pups does not have the tools you have. Then add to the mix that this pup might had at least 2 different places to adjust to in her short life.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Training takes time and is an ongoing/lifelong process. She certainly will not learn over night or in a few days or maybe even a few weeks to do (or not do) some of the things you want. Puppies don't come to you just automatically knowing what is right and what is wrong and what is okay to do here and not there. It will take time.

Puppies teethe also which means they want to continuously chew and mouth on things. As for the jumping - "be a tree" works - but you have to be willing to do those circles until she calms down or gets bored and leaves you alone - which is what you're going for. Then you have to praise her and give her treats! She won't just understand that she's doing something you want if you don't communicate to her that she is.

When she nips/bites make a high pitched yelping noise and stop all play with her for a few seconds. She'll learn biting/nipping hard means playtime stops. You can also keep a toy handy that she likes and when she goes to bite give her the toy instead. She'll learn that there are and are not appropriate things to bite/chew on.

Also, always praise and treat for behaviors she does that you want to keep reinforcing. If you don't - you're not communicating to her what it is that is acceptable and what is not so she'll never learn.

I also really like what wvasko said he makes a great point.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Puppies bite when they play.
Puppies have no hands, so they use their mouths instead.
Puppies experience their world through smell and taste -- it's more important to them than vision is to you.

So, you can see what you're up against. It's not reasonable to expect her to stop it in 12 hours, or even 12 days. Luckily she doesn't want to hurt you, so when she nips or bites, pull back suddenly! with an "Ouch!" If she doesn't stop in her tracks and look at you funny, or try to make it up by licking you, then you didn't say it loud enough. Imagine that you are trying to make her understand that it hurts. See if that doesn't help some.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am just wanting suggestions to start on training her on the mouthing and nipping not this uncalled rude lectures. Geez... And Yes I know puppies mouth and nip... I am just wanting to nip it in the bud due to how old she is. She is not a baby/young puppy and already knows sit, lay, and come. The lady had her for a month and she picked up on those quite easily.

DustyCrockett. Thank you for giving me tips and suggestions rather then lecturing me... and Tharcian, Yes I know it wont happen over nite. Just wanting Tips and Suggestions on what to do and what works best on getting her to stop...

Working on her lunging when given treats by removing the treat/hand out of her reach and after 30seconds i extend it again and i repeat this. This i know will take time as I dont know if she was a stray born or dumped off because the ppl didnt want her...

She doesnt jump on people or jump period. i said the reference to the jumping cause in the episode of that tv show, victoria used it for the dogs bad jumping on people habit.
Sasha Nips and mouths peoples hands. And yes i know she teeth but she's not even 6months old, so teething is a bit early as most puppies dont teeth until 6mo + ... Also the word "no" doesn't work, and the moving hand away doesnt work. And Yes I know patience is the key, i'm not a dummy, she isn't my first puppy.

All I wanted was suggestions/tips on what worked for other ppl on mouthing/nipping puppies to get ideas of what else to do/use to stop this behavior. And I also know it isn't over-nite. I am a mother of 2 little girls, Plus i've babysat pets for people plus raised my own puppies AND kittens in the past.
I have just never had a puppy who mouthed/nipped that didnt recognize the yelping, "no" and removal of the hand as a sign of "ouch" "dont do that" "it hurt". And No she doesn't do it all the time, just occasionally. My mother has frail skin*in addition to my sensetive ad/hd 9yr old daughter and having a walking older baby* and i would like this to be stopped before it becomes into a nasty bad habit(which WILL happen when she gets older and its not nipped in the bud NOW*and not immediate now just term of reference "now"*.

She also is learning her new name as the lady just called her puppy. I am only working on one thing at a time... Every 5 minute training session is a different thing...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
and she's approx 4 maybe 5 months old.
a puppy will begin teething at around 4ish months give or take.

She is not a baby/young puppy
She IS a young puppy and we'll be considered a puppy until about a year old (depending on breed and sexual maturity of breed)

I am just wanting suggestions to start on training her on the mouthing and nipping not this uncalled rude lectures.
You've gotten a lot of great tips to help start her training -none of them were rude or uncalled for. o.o?

From your post you said you've had her for about 12 hours and you made it SEEM like you were expecting her to understand what you wanted right away from this short session or expected her to already know that she wasn't allowed to do it. (I also don't know if these are your first dogs you've ever owned and raised from puppy hood on your own)

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
If she nips you and yelping or turning your back doesn't work, actually get up and leave the room for 20-30 seconds (make sure she can't just follow you!). She needs to learn that when she bites too hard, play stops and you leave. Don't stay away too long or she'll find something else to do and won't really connect you leaving to her nipping. After the 20-30 seconds, come back and resume play, but if she nips again, repeat the process. This may take a lot of repetitions, but it should work. Just be consistent.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
There are very knowledgeable people here trying to help you and give you advice that you asked for. They are not lecturing. Sure, some of the answers are longer than a simple sentence but wouldn't you rather have too much information than too little?

Crantastic gave the advice that I usually give so here's my contribution: The Bite Stops Here

What it took for my boy when he nipped is I yelped LOUD as if it really hurt me and I left the room for 30 seconds. This took a few days just like all training takes time. You've had this young puppy (and yes, she is still a baby) for barely a day, be patient or you're going to have MANY headaches in your future.\

Edit: My dog, much like many dobermans, will be in his "I'm a stupid puppy" phase until about 2 years of age.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I know some ppl had the best interest but really, dont need to lecture somebody just because they are trying to seek advice and tips and suggestions on how to stop a mid-age puppy from mouthing and nipping when there are ppl who's skins break easily 'n doesn't heal*my mother has a skin disease that prevents skin from healing at a normal pace and instead causes it to spread wider and go down to the nerves* and having a sensitive older child who doesn't understand why she is being mouthed or nipped by the puppy.... and when there is a older infant as well who totally does NOT understand why a puppy hurt her.

But the point i was trying to make is that there were alot of ppl who took the "now" as in RIGHT now and I did not mean "right" now. I meant now as in while she is a puppy. So that it does NOT become adult biting.... Adult biting is a habit that starts off as puppy mouthing and puppy nipping that is not curbed/stopped. And once an adult dog bites somebody it becomes a dangerous dog and inpounded by Humane Society and then you have to pay their stupid high bond in addition to buying the muzzle beforehand, and getting 100K insurance on the dog... the muzzle 'n the insurance has to be bought BEFORE they will release the dog into your care, and they will then monitor your dog for awhile afterwards and if it happens again its a ridicously high bond and if it happens a 3rd time the dog is killed immediately!!!

And I have had puppy's before.... she isn't responding to the "no" yelping "ouch" redrawing of the hand turning my back to her with arms crossed across my chest. and I am not a soft voiced person. I have a firm high pitched voice when dealing with this behavior. I am just wanting some off the wall, out of the box suggestions that you dont find in training books, that trainers dont put much heed to cause it wasn't taught to them...

I have a skin sensitive mother(she has a skin disease that prevents her skin from healing properly and at a normal pace once broken) and my oldest daughter is sensitive to being hurt and of course I have a 10month old who definately will NOT understand why the puppy bit(and yes to her it'd be bitten) her.

Crantastic, Thank you for that bit of advice(which is what i am wanting, advice, tips, suggestions, methods that worked for you)... She does it when we play and i play with her muzzle to get her used to the baby tugging at her before the baby does, to see if she has any "no" spots.... To leave the room would be to enter the bathroom or the bedrooms cause she does follow. lol. i tried just leaving the immdiate room and she followed me. She did have a hang-dog look in her eyes, so i think she partially understood the reason why "play" stopped.

I will appreciate Any useful, insightful, tips/advice/suggestions that can be used on a 4-6month old puppy. and please keep any critism/negative responses/lectures to yourself. All i would like is advice/suggestions/tips.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
No one is lecturing you. Trust me...I have seen some lectures here.

She is a baby. Just becasue she is already 4-5 months does not make her any less of a puppy. She will not grow up until she is well over a year old...and with being a Springer, it could take longer. You just need to be patient. Read the link PatchworkRobot gave you. It is helpful.

Puppies are a pain in the rear. They will test you regardless of how long they have been in your house.

I am not sure what type of advice you were looking for...a quick fix or something, but, with dogs, there are no quick fixes. Teacher her what you expect and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I know some ppl had the best interest but really, dont need to lecture somebody just because they are trying to seek advice and tips and suggestions on how to stop a mid-age puppy from mouthing and nipping when there are ppl who's skins break easily 'n doesn't heal*my mother has a skin disease that prevents skin from healing at a normal pace and instead causes it to spread wider and go down to the nerves* and having a sensitive older child who doesn't understand why she is being mouthed or nipped by the puppy.... and when there is a older infant as well who totally does NOT understand why a puppy hurt her.

I have tried the "no" "ouch" yelping and holding hands away. She is a lover and gentle at heart and she hates hurting us as she does get sad in the face when she doesn't get pets or affection afterwards....

I am just trying to get idea's and suggestions and tips on how to nip this in the bud so that it wont become a worse habit of actual biting(and yes puppy mouthing and puppy nipping is where adult biting comes from). I may only have had her for 12-24 hrs BUT she's between 4 and 6 months of age. No It isn't teething as she doesn't chew on anything else and she DOES have rawhide bones to chew on*and she does chew on them*.

I have had puppies in the past. But they didn't do this... They took the yelp and the no and licked me to say I'm sorry. And no i dont do it softly, I do it firmly with a raised voice that has a tint of hurt in it.

Please only give me advice and tips and suggestions on what to do to stop this behavior. not lecture me or assume I want it done over-nite. I know it takes time and possibly days.. But i dont want the weeks... Longer she has this habit, the harder it is to curb it and more likely it is to become the adult biting.
But see, you do want a quick fix. You want this fixed over days and not weeks...and it will most likely take weeks. For the time being, you need to be patient, consitent and calm.

And you mention the kids and your mother, etc. who can't handle puppy bites. Why did you get a puppy? Why not an older dog that may be out of the biting phase?

Puppies bite. You don't know what work the previous owner did with her, so you have no idea what work has been done about bite inhabition before. You need to step back, take a breath, and repeat the following: this will take time. This will take time. This will take time.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
12 hours and you are already losing patience over this behaviour? :wave: Sorry to break this news to you, YOU JUST GOT A PUPPY. A PUPPY! Patience IS THE Most IMPORTANT part of the training process. Not all puppies are the same, even littermates ARE not the same. Some are easy, some are a little harder than the rest. 6 Months old IS still a puppy. Heck, my youngest dog is 3 years old and IS still acting like a puppy sometimes.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
But the point i was trying to make is that there were alot of ppl who took the "now" as in RIGHT now and I did not mean "right" now. I meant now as in while she is a puppy. So that it does NOT become adult biting.... Adult biting is a habit that starts off as puppy mouthing and puppy nipping that is not curbed/stopped. And once an adult dog bites somebody it becomes a dangerous dog and inpounded by Humane Society and then you have to pay their stupid high bond in addition to buying the muzzle beforehand, and getting 100K insurance on the dog... the muzzle 'n the insurance has to be bought BEFORE they will release the dog into your care, and they will then monitor your dog for awhile afterwards and if it happens again its a ridicously high bond and if it happens a 3rd time the dog is killed immediately!!!
I understand where you're coming from, I do, but please, relax! You've only had her a day, and if she's a normal puppy (which it sounds like she is), I am confident she will learn bite inhibition soon and will not grow up to be a terror. You've only had her one day; she will still be a puppy for many months. :)

Crantastic, Thank you for that bit of advice(which is what i am wanting, advice, tips, suggestions, methods that worked for you)... She does it when we play and i play with her muzzle to get her used to the baby tugging at her before the baby does, to see if she has any "no" spots.... To leave the room would be to enter the bathroom or the bedrooms cause she does follow. lol. i tried just leaving the immdiate room and she followed me. She did have a hang-dog look in her eyes, so i think she partially understood the reason why "play" stopped.
This is good to hear! Just keep doing that, and she should catch on quickly. Consistency is the key -- EVERY time she bites too hard, play stops and you leave.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Crantastic.... I'm starting to see a pattern with her mouthing and nipping. She doesnt like to hurt us I can tell. We wash our hands after handling her treats 'n food as that is a way to help curb it i was told(she really does it after we handle food so i think it was the smell that was causing part of the problem and of course her being a puppy the other part, lol) ... Will do the removing self from room technique as well. It sounds tedious but may work as she loves to be with us and hates to be seperated. I wonder how she'll do when i go to work tonight... she did fine the lady said at her place when she went to work..... ((thankfully i only work 5 hr shifts at work.... i run my own business from home 'n do this job as the cash funder until my business gets going))

Mudra. My last puppy was 2 of them. Schipperke and a GSD plus a friend has a Akita he raised since puppihood. Master pleasing dogs but stubborn breeds cause they know how smart they are... I know its patience and takes time... Just wanting tips and advice to work with her. I dont expect immediate results.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
The first few days, the pup was getting used to her environment. Now she's comfortable and a typical puppy. A little more detail about nipping:

Tweaks to Bite Inhibition (Sticky:The Bite Stops Here ... Using Ouch or Yelp!)
1. When the pup bites, then yelp. It should sound about like what the pup does when you step on its paw...don't step on her paw for a sample :). When you yelp, the pup should startle briefly and stop nipping. Praise and pet. She'll bite again.
2. When she bites the second time, Yelp. When she stops, praise and pet. She'll nip again, although it may be a little gentler. ...
3. When she bites a third time, Yelp (see a pattern?). But this time, turn your back for 15 - 30 secs. If she comes around and play bows or barks, then that is an apology. Accept it, (This is important) praise and pet... and cringe in expectation of the next nip... From your description, it sounds like she is already at this point...... Continue to yelp every time she nips you - that marks the undesirable behavior for her....
4. When she bites the 4th time, Yelp, then leave the area, placing her in a 2 min. time-out. It is better if you can leave, rather than moving her. Then, return and interact. (She's still hungry...) ... 30 sec - 1 min. might be adequate for her....
5. When she nips the fifth time, yelp, and leave the area, stopping interaction for now.

Immediately after you yelp (in this case), you should notice that the second nip is a bit gentler... not enough, but a bit.

Dogs need to sleep over night in order to learn their lessons. So, keep doing this for 3 days. By the third day, you should notice significant Bite Inhibition. She may still nip, but it will be softer and she won't draw blood. Keep up the training and make sure that everyone yelps.... Very powerful method.

However, you will have to keep your mother away for a week or so, to protect her from the nipping... but make sure that everyone Yelps, and leaves the room, if they get nipped.

If you learn the technique, then you can apply the "yelp" to other circumstances, also. I believe that "yelp" is "Please don't do that, I don't like it." in dog communication. For example, I used the Yelp method to shape an energetic Tug with very well-defined rules, yelping when my dog broke the rules.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts