Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone.

so i have a question i didn't know if it had to go in this category. this is the first puppies i have had to care for so i have no idea.
my mother dog has normally fed her pups their entire life but now at 6-7 weeks old she actively want to be away from them.i cant put her in the same fenced of area because she will try to get out 2 minutes later because she doesn't want to be with them it seems. is this normal because she wants them to be independent?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Yes, it's normal. I'm assuming that you are feeding the puppies, and not expecting her to nurse them as their only food source? If not, then you need to introduce them to solid food now. However, even though she's no longer their only source of food, they still need to spend at least two more weeks with her and their littermates, learning some more social skills, before going to their new homes.

Soaking puppy kibble (dry food) with water until it is soft and mushy is the usual way to introduce puppies to real food. Feeding them four to six times a day, in addition to any nursing she allows them, is recommended.

Reactions: hanksimon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's normal. I'm assuming that you are feeding the puppies, and not expecting her to nurse them as their only food source? If not, then you need to introduce them to solid food now. However, even though she's no longer their only source of food, they still need to spend at least two more weeks with her and their littermates, learning some more social skills, before going to their new homes.

Soaking puppy kibble (dry food) with water until it is soft and mushy is the usual way to introduce puppies to real food. Feeding them four to six times a day, in addition to any nursing she allows them, is recommended.
they eat solid food already i ground up the solid food and added water to make a paste at the beginning but they started eating the normal solid food on their own all of a sudden.
the mom doesnt want to be with the pups and constantly does a annoyed little bark at them if they do anything to her if i put her with them anyway she just stands with her front paws on the fence all day trying to get out

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
How big an area are they in when she's with them? If it's really small, and they are swarming her and she can't find any peace, then you need a larger area for them, and a way for her to go in and out if she wants, but for them to not follow her out. By this age, most of my breeder friends have the puppies in a larger pen by themselves for the most part, and the bitch only with them for short periods, and then having them all together out in the yard for playtime and exploring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How big an area are they in when she's with them? If it's really small, and they are swarming her and she can't find any peace, then you need a larger area for them, and a way for her to go in and out if she wants, but for them to not follow her out. By this age, most of my breeder friends have the puppies in a larger pen by themselves for the most part, and the bitch only with them for short periods, and then having them all together out in the yard for playtime and exploring.
ok their in a 6.8 by 3.4 foot pen so that might be the problem not enough room how would i go about making it so she can get out. they are in this kind of pen but in the shape of a rectangle how about a elevated area would that work?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I agree that the bitch needs some ability to get away from the puppies if she needs to at this age. I'd open the door and rig up some kind of barricade on the lower half, tall enough that the puppies can't climb over but the mom can jump in and out. Just a plank of (smooth, no splinters!) wood or sheet of plastic zip-tied in place might be enough, depending on your setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that the bitch needs some ability to get away from the puppies if she needs to at this age. I'd open the door and rig up some kind of barricade on the lower half, tall enough that the puppies can't climb over but the mom can jump in and out. Just a plank of (smooth, no splinters!) wood or sheet of plastic zip-tied in place might be enough, depending on your setup.
ok i will set this up today and see how it goes ill keep you guys up to date

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its already seems to be working she herself thinks she doesnt have to be with the puppies 24/7 anymore so i now have decided to just put her with them for a few minutes at a time they still try to drink her milk even tho they eat and drink normal food so im gonna try to get them to stop thank you guys for the help it was a great relief knowing this was pretty normal again thanks

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Most breeders I know separate the bitch from the puppies at about 5 weeks other than play time. The puppies are on solid food and those little teeth HURT!!! Bitch is telling you to please let her get away from the land sharks!!

At 8 weeks if the puppies do not all go to new homes it is time to separate them into separate crates and to handle and work with each one separately. Mom is not longer in the picture at that point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts