Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, a friend has a litter of pups 11..these pups are only 5 days old and mom is now not lactating.. what would cause this and what should she do?

·
Registered
916 Posts
She should get the mother and litter into a vet ASAP! The pups will go down hill very quickly if they are not receiving adequate nutrition.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I agree. Get them to a vet. In the meantime, bottle feed the puppies with puppy formula.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm sorry I am just very worried for the mom and pups.. what type of bottle and of formula should she get.. I know she can get to the emerg clinc tonight but as noted I'm worried..

Okay, I told her what you all told me to tell her.. I will be intouch in the morning and keep you up-dated.. This is one of the reasons why I do not breed, I would be on pins and needles all the time.. Thanks again

·
Registered
823 Posts
Most pet stores and some grocery stores sell puppy formula. Esibilac (I think) is a good one, but anything will do (Hartz and the like, from Wal-Mart or whatever, are not particularly good, but should do in a pinch). You should also be able to get bottles made for dogs in pet stores and grocery stores. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
You can use regular baby bottles. There are bottles made special for pups (or other animals) but I don't care for them. Pups need to eat often, so they best be prepared for sleepless nights. Formula can be made with evaporated milk (you can look it up online). Never, ever give the regular milk. Is the mom completely out of milk? It is great that they got to nurse for the first few days but what mom has is usually best. Kelp can help with milk production and adequate diet is also most beneficial to the mom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts