Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
What are everyone's thoughts on what is the most versatile breed?
My thought would be that it depends on what you need. For my needs, the Australian Shepherd is definitely up there - can work poultry and larger stock, protect the property, is biddable and willing to play my games whether that be herding trials, agility, obedience or freestyle.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Corgis always astonish me with how they can adapt. Ditto to poodles above.

Chihuahuas are not very versatile but I admire the way Winnie can be doing zoomies and if I pick her up mid run and put her on the bed she'll just sleep and sleep. Ditto if I put her down interrupting her sleep.

Not particularly amazing I know, but she's my first dog and 'n proud lol.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I guess it depends on what you mean, and what you want.

I think that Wirehaired Pointing Griffon's are pretty versatile for the outdoorsy person. Curs would rank up there as well.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
My first thought is cur types, GSDs, ACDs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Catahoula Leopard dog is the most versatile hunting breed; raccoons, cattle, sheep, wild boar, birds, mice and can you believe this....it climbs trees too! It's preferred by hunters in the South and has the reputation of being the most versatile, even more than the Aussie or cattle dogs.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Shepherds, hands down :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think a lot of the herding breeds are pretty versatile in that they are very well suited for a wide range of "jobs" (work or sport). I'm not sure any other breed is as widely used as GSDs for as many different purposes. GSDs can be found in police work, military work, personal protection, narc detection, bomb detection, SAR, service dogs of all kinds, protection sports, performance sports, obedience, tracking/scentwork (for sport or work), herding (competition/hobby usually but still some working GSDs out there)...I've even heard of people who hunted with their GSD!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Malinois, they really excel in almost anything they do. LE, military, protection, SAR, agility, any sport, dock diving, herding, bomb detection, service dogs, and are quickly replacing more common breeds that have been used for years.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Malinois, they really excel in almost anything they do. LE, military, protection, SAR, agility, any sport, dock diving, herding, bomb detection, service dogs, and are quickly replacing more common breeds that have been used for years.
Gotta agree, I've even done a lot of the things on that list with one dog :) French Ring, Mondio Ring, Schutzhund, PSA, herding, obedience, agility, flyball, dock diving, weight pull, conformation, scent work, tracking and she does a lot of service dog tasks to boot. I don't need a service dog, I just trained the tasks as an interesting training exercise.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I see the word "versatile" on just about every breed info page on the interweb. This could be a very interesting thread.

I think curs, GSDs, Malinois all rank near the top. As much as I want to tack on Border Collies and ACDs, it seems like they're both semi handicapped by being so highly specialized on particular livestock. I could be wrong. I've see videos of BCs working cattle so it's not impossible.

And I lack hands on experience with the cur types. Anybody feel free to chime in on this: Can an individual cur(Catahoula, lacy, BMC, etc.) go hunting one day and herding the next? This is what they were bred to do, take the job of two or more dogs(less mouths to feed).

As for labs... Are they really that versatile? I've only ever heard of them hunting duck, quail, and pheasant. Of course there's a bunch of other jobs they can perform but do they really rank up there with a Mal or GSD?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Gotta agree, I've even done a lot of the things on that list with one dog :) French Ring, Mondio Ring, Schutzhund, PSA, herding, obedience, agility, flyball, dock diving, weight pull, conformation, scent work, tracking and she does a lot of service dog tasks to boot. I don't need a service dog, I just trained the tasks as an interesting training exercise.
A friend in Memphis even has a duck retriever malinois lol, she has a large lab kennel.

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Labs are excellent for search and rescue, for service dogs, for therapy dogs, for agility, for long jump, for obedience, and they can babysit kids...

Labs can be used as police dogs and military dogs.... attack training is taught as a fun, positive training approach.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Catahoulas are used to hunt in a variety of terrains and basically anything that "moves"; the DEA uses them for border patrol,cadaver searches, police work, etc. Plus they can climb trees!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts