Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Veterinary Pet Insurance company compiled a list of the most popular and unusual pet names in its database for 2008...do we have all of the "most popular" here on DF?

Most Popular
1. Max
2. Bailey
3. Bella
4. Molly
5. Lucy
6. Buddy
7. Maggie
8. Daisy
9. Sophie
10. Chloe

Most Unusual
1. Rush Limbark
2. Sirius Lee Handsome
3. Rafikikadiki
4. Low Jack
5. Meatwad
6. Peanut Wigglebutt
7. Scuddles Unterfuss
8. Sophie Touch & Pee [lol]
9. Admiral Toot
10. Spatula​

And for the cats...

Most Popular
1. Max
2. Chloe
3. Tigger
4. Tiger
5. Lucy
6. Smokey
7. Oliver
8. Bella
9. Shadow
10. Charlie

Most Unusual
1. Edward Scissorpaws
2. Sir Lix-a-lot
3. Optimus Prrrime
4. Buddah Pest
5. Snoop Kitty Kitty
6. Miss Fuzzbutt
7. 80 Bucks
8. Sparklemonkey
9. Rosie Posie Prozac
10. Toot Uncommon​

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28540800/?pg=1#TDY_Pets_TopNames

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
LOL Nice to see that my 100 pound Rottie holds one of the most popular CAT names. lol
Inga was often called Miss Fuzzbutt too so, I guess I am more with the cat names for my much loved delicate little doggies. :)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
funny, iorek is not on either list... :D i am really glad we named him this, it fits him perfectly! but, we get a lot of strange pronunciations of his name - mostly i-o-rick (the vet! no matter how many times i say eeyore-ic!) and uric - like urine! the only person that i have met that got it right the first time was a little kid, about 4!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I swear least popular #3 for cats (Optimus Prrrime) was my friends son lol. he is obsessed with transformers. (although they dont have a cat just had to gigle when I seen that name)

I havnt used any of those names for any pets, except for Daisy. And thats for my pet rat.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
funny, iorek is not on either list... :D i am really glad we named him this, it fits him perfectly! but, we get a lot of strange pronunciations of his name - mostly i-o-rick (the vet! no matter how many times i say eeyore-ic!) and uric - like urine! the only person that i have met that got it right the first time was a little kid, about 4!

Uric is how the little girl says it in the movie if I remember correctly...so maybe that's why some say Uric?

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
maybe...i am not sure. i was pretty sure that there was an "e" sound at the beginning of the name. a long "e" sound like eeyore but not so noticeable, like a quick "e"-orik. the sound is more of an "o" sound, rather than a "u" sound. more like e-your-ick. or at least, that is how we say it! :D

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
maybe...i am not sure. i was pretty sure that there was an "e" sound at the beginning of the name. a long "e" sound like eeyore but not so noticeable, like a quick "e"-orik. the sound is more of an "o" sound, rather than a "u" sound. more like e-your-ick. or at least, that is how we say it! :D
That's how Lyra says it...the rest of them say it like you do...(i own dat moovie sos I went anna checked:D)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
thanks! i only saw the movie one time when it was in theatres so it was a while ago! i read all the books though, and really enjoyed them...well, except for the ending of the 3rd book!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Not sure if this fits here but, I was in the bed a few nights ago...and I was thinking of names for dogs you would hate to stand in your front yard and call out.

Then that hair remover product that came out years ago got mixed up in my thoughts. So the worst name you could yell out to your dog is officially 'Nads' This is how my mind works before I fall asleep :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
No Princess, Prada or Bebe? I think there's 300 some odd dogs named Bebe in the computer at work. Princess is right up there too.

None of mine have names off the lists. I must be a free thinker. :) Or just really bad at naming things.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Meatwad is a cartoon character from aqua teen hunger force....yes that would be an awesome name for a bulldog.

I can't tell you how many times I get calls to groom dogs and the owner says..
"This is Max's mom"
"This is Bailey's mom"

I'm like....oh crap.... I'm supposed to know which dog they are talking about.....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Those are great... "80 Bucks". I wonder if that was how much he cost?

This might open up an interesting discussion - why did you name your pets the name you chose?

Dexter - Named after the show, Dexter. Also because it always struck me as a clever name.

Matilda - Our little all black kitty, it just seemed fitting.

Princess - Named her this by accident. As a kitten, her little orange head spot looked like a tiara, so my mom dubbed her 'Princess' just to distinguish her from the others babies. We didn't plan on keeping her, so we didn't really think of a real name (for example, one kitten was dubbed 'Alien' because he had a huge head, and another was called 'Woodrow Wilson' by my SO) Unfortunately, Princess stuck... but it is VERY fitting. She's a total princess. I like calling her 'Prin', or 'Prices' - the name a roommate accidentally gave her when he messed up her name. :rolleyes:

Gremlin - Sister to Princess... she just looks like a gremlin, haha. She's got angry eyes and a devilish smirk. She's a little toughy, so it fits as well.

Kirby - A cat named after the Nintendo Kirby. He's big, orange, cuddly, and kind of dumb. It's funny, there's a dog at my local DP named Kirby - and he's totally the dog version of this cat. Big, orange, cuddly, and dumb - only a "goldendoodle" rather than a orange tabby. :p

Mama - Most unoriginal name, ha. She was pregnant when we got her. She doesn't seem to mind, though.

Malakai - Named after the character from Children of the Corn. I thought it was a cool name when I was a Junior in high school. :rolleyes: We call her Mali for short, though my mom calls her 'Molly' because she thinks it's cuter.

Perry, short for Percival - named after Perry Cox from Scrubs. Our friend Ed suggested the name, and it was fitting. He needed a gentleman's name. ;)

Tiki - Our peach faced lovebird, named sort of after the football player. But also the "Enchanted Tiki Room" in Disney World (my mom loves that).

Cambria - Our blowfish, we used to have another named "Coheed". And to be honest, I never could tell them apart so I don't know which one we have left. But I love the band, so I chose those names.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts