Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you hear the most?
I hear:

Ranger
Lady

maybe Princess.

What happened to Fido, Butch, Fluffy, Rex, all those names? I actually do know a dog named Rex, though...
I dont even hear Toto or Lassie or anything...maybe too cliche.

Thought I'd add more to it. Too bad I can't change the title of the post.
What names for dogs do you like the best? Here's my list for pugs and bulldogs because I want one of each one day.

PUG NAMES

Boy:
Chopper
Max
Bruce

Girl:
Daisy
Ginger
Mariposa

BULLDOG NAMES

Boy:
Pierre
Chopper
Meatball
Bob

Girl:
Daisy
Ginger
Sophie
Mariposa

Some overlap....

What are your favorite breeds/What kind of dog would you like to have but don't?

Mine are:
pug
bulldog (they're all cute!)
boston terrior
boxers
and of course, my own dog. I would like to have at least one of each in my lifetime. They're very expensive, not often in shelters, and can have a lot of medical (ie: breathing) problems, at least the pugs and bulldogs. Unsure about the other breeds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i hear
spike
dude
dogg
mutt
daisy

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Where I live, hands down the most popular dog name is Bella. I wish I knew that before I named my Belle.

My fav breed is labrador...but I'm kind of bias because that's all I've ever owned. But I'd like to own some other breeds in the future.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Names that belongs to multiple dogs I know...

Molly
Riley (various spellings...I know like 4 of these offhand)
Bailey
Daisy
Echo
Mojo
Splash(y)
Charlie
Lucy
River (all Golden Retrievers for some reason)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I know multiple dogs, real life, not forum dogs, named Chloe, Riley, Princess, Duchess, Bailey....

Names I have set aside for future use...I really want a male split faced bc named Harvey...also Shasta and Mackay (rhymes with blue sky).

ETA...as a kid, my husband had five dogs...two were named Bear and Bear Junior, and two were Lad and Laddie....

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Bear, Daisy, Bella, Buddy, Cleo, Chloe, Lady, Max, Sam, Nicky/Nikki/etc,

Rose/Rosie is the favorite of my family..... I've personally had a Rosie and now have a Rose, my grandma has Rose (Rosie is the nickname) the yorkie and my uncle has Rose the plott hound. So that's 3 Roses in our family right now. People have had more over the years.

Bella is probably the most common overall though.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Jack, Jake, Sam (I know a family who has only owned Goldens, one at a time. ALL of them were named Sam.) Daisy, Lady, Dog...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Boys names: Max, Spike, buddy, Bailey, Charlie, Sam, Shadow

Girls names: Bella, Daisy, Lucy, Misha, Mitzy, Maggie, Bailey, Chloe

·
Registered
435 Posts
Buddy for males is pretty popular now.

I've heard of dogs named,King,Queen ,Sarge,mostly GSD's.

Sugar is common for small female dogs.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Max and Lucy are the most common around here. I work in a dog grooming shop, and one day we had 5 lucy's in for a groom.It was crazy, we would have to call them "lucy the bulldog" "Lucy the min schnauzer" "Lucy the lab" ect lol. I can think of at least 6 Max's I know.

I would say Tucker is also a pretty common name around here.

As for names I have.
Not to many. I for some reason have always loved the name "rocks" for a dog.

Other then that, I tend to name animals with people names(Current pets are Marley, Mike and Eugene then there is Blaze). Blaze is one of the only pets we have had with a non human name.

I would pick uncommon human names as well. I wanted to name the cat Cathy. boyfriend hated it, so Marley it was.

Dogs i would probably name Steve, kyle, Matt, john ect like really common human names lol im werid

As for breeds I want.
German Shepherd.
Rough collies.
Toy poodles.
Doberman.

And a few others intrest me alot. But those four are set in stone that i will own one day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dogs name is Fido, he's a (Giant) Yorkshire Terrier :)
He's way too big for his breed, but he is as purebreed as a dog can be.

I live in Iceland, the most common names here are:

Max
Spori
Smali
Fífí
Rocky
Molly
Týra
Freyja

My favorite breeds are Yorkshire Terrier, Maltese, Rottweiler, Cane Corso and Standard Poodle, i would love to own another Yorkie or a Maltese!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Best name I ever heard belonged to a golden colored, low-to-the-ground mutt at the shelter: Pancake. Made me laugh every time I walked by his kennel.

I gotta be honest...I don't know a lot of people with dogs around here. My aunt and uncle have a Bandit, my minister has a Moses and a Frankie. I grew up with a series of dogs named Lady at my grandparents' ranch in Colorado, and my grandparents here in LA had a Marky and a Duchess. I've had a Cameo (Cammy), a Brutus, an Alvin, and a Clifford. Cameo was the only one I named...the rest were resuces who came with said monikers.

I also had a cat named Spot.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I agree that I hear a lot of the above names a lot. This thread reminded me of one time at my work. We have 3 exam rooms and at one time every room had a Bailey in it. Different breeds, different sizes, different genders, lol. Like Tankster, all of my dogs have human names. Currently, I have Landen and Mia. The dog I want to adopt at the moment is named Ferris. I think that is a cool name.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I meet a lot of dogs named 'Chewie'; that's a great name, but what's weird is they're all different breeds, including one Shih-Tzu. I guess the hair kind of makes sense, but I just think Chewie should be a big dog.

I've met several English Bulldogs named Winston, and Clyde. Winston makes perfect sense, but I have no idea where Clyde comes from, or why people associate it with Bulldogs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
A bit off topic but my grandparents had a dog when I was growing up (several but one in particular) and they couldn't think of a name when they got him. When calling for him everyone would say "Hey you" and the name stuck. It took me years to realize his name was Hey You; I just assumed it was an actual name, Heyue. Kids!!

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, I did NOT know there were so many Daisy's-never knew dog named Daisy before.
Bella, though, IS really common, come to think of it.

I know of a couple named Cody, and Bailey, too.

I love when someone has two dogs of the same breed and name them something like Bonnie and Clyde, **** and Span, or something funny like that. Not that I know any. I met a pug awhile ago with a great name, too bad I can't remember it....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts