Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog is on heartworm prevention. Lately, the mosquitoes have been really bad and I've noticed him scratching a lot. I know he has no fleas so my question is can mosquitoes cause itching in dogs like on us humans? Also, he is a shih tzu and is groomed short during the summer.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
For a little itching, you can use a little ice or fresh aloe. For lots of itching, call your Vet and ask about Benadryl or one of the other over the counter anti-histamine type drugs. My Vet gave me a list of possible meds with dosages for my dog... and I found some generic 'Claritin' at Costco for pennies per dose. I don't like to give meds without discusssing with my Vet, first.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
When mosq's get Bella, they usually get her nose or legs. The bites don't seem to bother her, but this time of year she does have allergies to (I think) grass & ragweed. She becomes itchy and sneezy - just like me! We're currently a pathetic duo. We were both sneezing the whole walk this morning. lol

I asked the vet about benedryl, so I give her (and myself) some when it is bad.

The garlic tabs I am giving her seem to help keep the majority of skeeters off of her. Other than keeping her inside during dawn & dusk when the mosquito's are worst is all I've been able to come up with. I don't want to put anything on her fur.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts