Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's monsoon season in Phoenix and it's hot, humid, and wet. Guess what that means. Lots of mosquitoes. More mosquitoes than I have ever seen in any California city... Funny thing is I thought moving to the desert would mean less, not more mosquitoes.

Which means more bites for me, the allergic mosquito bait of the family. And the allergic reactions are getting worse with every wave of bites. So now I have a dilemma.

What kinds of repellant can I wear 24-7 (because they love to get in the house and bite us in our sleep...) that will make me a former-mosquito-bait and not possibly cause problems like deet will? Also something to stop the awful itching? Benadryl, ice, cortisone cream, and lavender oil all working together seem to be the only thing now that can make the bites bearable enough to sleep through the night right now...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
A few things to do:
*Check your screens. Mosquitoes in the house can be minimized, if not eliminated.
*In Amazonia, one buys a net to hang over the bed (or hammock). They work great, but are hard to manage if your dogs sleep in the bed. I'm sure you can find a good mosquito net via google (cheap).
* Deet works pretty well and though there are people questioning how healthy the stuff is, I can't find anything too damning about it in the evidence-based literature.
* Cintronella candles and those Asian made incense coils for repelling bugs do help. I use them in my garage/workshop (for some reason, a favorite mosquito hangout) when I work there in summer months.
* Do pay attention to the Health Dept. Don't leave standing water. And harass your neighbors if they do so.
* For longer term, support bat conservation. . . if feasible, build a bat house.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I am interested to hear opinions and remedies, because my OH is allergic to mosquitos and has a terrible (not life threatening, but uncomfortable). I am the lucky one, because I can be outside and not get one bite lmao.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've been considering a wall plug essential oil diffuser with citronella and eucalyptus oil but didn't know if it was any good. I might just put one in my room if I find another danged bug/bite in my room again.

My issue with deet is my mom's skin breaks out in rashes when she uses deet products. The fact that she seems to have given me a milder version of her sensitive skin tells me long term deet use may not be feasible for me. (That and I hate how it feels on my skin)

The issue with the standing water is it is under control 80% of the time and the 20% is when we are getting almost an inch of rain every night for several days in a normally dry desert. Our lawn might have good drainage, but even it is not used to that much water.

At our old house in California, the neighbor had a 20-foot eucalyptus tree. That back lawn just didn't really breed mosquitoes well even before water restrictions. Our lawn in AZ is drier and surrounded by houses with native landscaping (except one, but I never see puddling in their yard) yet gets way more after a couple of monsoons... I do plan to see how those things do out here because of that...

Edit: The mosquitoes only seem to be getting in when anyone opens a door to the outside. Just opening it long enough for a person and two dogs to get in and out is enough to let 2-3 of them follow us in.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Another bit of advice . . . don't come to Florida. We have mosquitoes up the yin yang. California, being dry in the warm season, is not good mosquito habitat.

It doesn't take much standing water to breed a gazillion mosquitoes. They also hang out in long grass. If you have lawn, keep it cut short.

Here's a source of natural mosquito control products:
http://www.arbico-organics.com/category/natural-mosquito-control-products

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Same with texas, though its worse in the coastal cities, up here close to OK, where its usually so dry that I am afraid to scuff my feet across the grass for fear of starting a fire (not really LOL) its not so bad unless you live close to lake dallas or something. We have 3 lakes here, but they put disks in them to kill the larvae. They are also stocked with fish, which also eat a lot of mosquito larvae.

But my poor OH is a magnet for the dang skeeters and any in the vicinity will converge on him LOL.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My son runs cross country for his high school. The coach recommended the kids take vitamin B-1 (thiamine) since they run in wooded area for meets and during training. Supposedly it makes you undesirable to mosquitoes. My son takes it and usually doesn't suffer from mosquito bites after training or meets.

I should also add that my son is very healthy and doesn't suffer from anything that would cause problems if he took B-1.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
Picaridin works almost as well as DEET and doesn't eat through paint and some fabrics/materials either. Feels totally different on your skin.

For daily indoor uses though, if its that bad, then i would do what one does in the tropics-- mosquito nets and fans. Nets can hang from a simple hook in the ceiling centered over the bed and aren't that hard to tuck around the bed when you get in and out. A fan blowing around you makes it hard for the mossies to fly well and cuts back a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts